Noisy bathtub Faucet?

Old 01-28-16, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy bathtub Faucet?

Hey there! Brand new member and homeowner here! I have a question concerning a noise coming from the bathtub faucet.

The noise only happens when the faucet is running with warm water (this sound doesn't occur when completely cold water is used or the shower head is used).

Almost like thumping pipes behind the faucet.

I posted a video link here below, sorry about the loud running water noise but that's the only way to make it so that.

Any insight would be highly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/Uth6cXZ6vSQ

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-16, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I didn't hear any "thumping" on the video. If there is thumping it often happens when the hot water gets drawn up into the pipes and they expand quickly and rub against framing in the wall. The "hissing" I heard in some faucet positions may be flow disruption or cavitation in the fixture. Unfortunately I don't know an easy fix other than to avoid those valve positions that make the noise.

Old 01-29-16, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dane. Yeah I guess "hissing" is a way better description. So it could just be the faucet itself?

Old 01-30-16, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
The faucet or the fittings and piping leading to it. They all come together to get conditions right to make noise at certain faucet positions. Annoying with a faucet that does not let you adjust the flow volume and especially annoying when the sound occurs where the water temp is where you like it.
You could try removing the faucets cartridge and see if there is a bit of sediment inside that's tripping the flow and causing the noise.