Multiple cracks on new installed bathtub

Old 01-28-16, 08:57 PM
Multiple cracks on new installed bathtub

We have moved in condo today, which has been remodeled since December. The bathtub was installed by general contractor on 12/31/15, we did not use until today. I found multiple cracks on the edge of the head of bathtub. I did check multiple times but I did not find it until this afternoon.

I talked to Home Depot, and they suggested that I should talk to my general contractor to come out looking at it. After installation, the contractor mentioned to me he did not guarantee any product from HD, but they are cheap and notorious to leaking. This the same contractor pour concrete over drain pipe under new install bathtub. What should I do? Attached is the picture for your review.

Name:  IMAG0197.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  8.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-16, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not the pro here but he told you he did not guarantee any product from HD, So I think you a re stuck with this. Did he put it in writing about guarantee? HD will probably Eschange it put labor will be up to you.

Old 01-29-16, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The cracks could have been a manufacturing defect, bad handling or poor installation. The tub must have proper support when installed, or stress cracks can occur. Yeah, contractor grade "anything" is cheap. If the contractor won't stand behind his installation, you may be stuck. Obviously not the best contractor based on his history.

Old 01-29-16, 07:46 AM
I totally believe it is due the installation process. Please take a look at my previous thread regarding of bathtub installation drain pipe. He finally agreed to fixed it. But his employees did not screw in the two corners of the head of bathtub. His crew did remove the concrete that encased the drain pipe.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...rain-pipe.html

I understand it is very hard to for him to send his crew out to take the whole set out and reinstall new tub, put drywall, and paint it again.

Old 01-29-16, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I understand it is very hard to for him to send his crew out to take the whole set out and reinstall new tub, put drywall, and paint it again. - See more at: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to....F5f5e8k1.dpuf
That shouldn't be anything you would lose sleep over. Not your problem. He should fix it if his crew didn't install it correctly.