Need flange for odd size drainage pipe

Old 01-31-16, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need flange for odd size drainage pipe

We are attempting to replace a toilet in our house (built 1980.) When we removed the old toilet, there was no flange, which I thought interesting (but, considering other things we have run across in this house, not terribly surprising. NOTHING in this house is easy.)

So, we went to buy a new flange. Now I know why there wasn't one ... the drainage pipe (which appears to be ABS, as it is black plastic, not metal) appears to be 3.5" pipe which measured 4" OD, with an approximate 3.5" ID. Of course, flanges for 3" or 4" pipe don't fit.

PLEASE tell me I don't have to try to remove and replace the existing pipe - we are talking about a cement slab. Is there a flange available for 3.5" PVC?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-16, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Odd that it may be SDR 35 pipe???

Old 01-31-16, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
3.5 ID and 4" OD would be the dimensions of a 3" ABS hub. Perhaps they installed it too high so there is no room for a 3" abs stub. You should find that a 4" flange should just about slip over it. You may have to file the inside of the flange a bit.

Or is the problem that there is no clearance around the outside for a flange to slip over what you have?

Please post a pic.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-31-16, 08:12 PM
No clearance to install outside - it may be that cement was filled in around it. Now that I look at it, I see that the pipe has a narrow lip. It is installed almost flush with the slab, raised just enough for a thin layer of vinyl flooring. We brought home a 3-4" flange (Oatey 43495) but it would take an awful lot of filing to get it to fit!

Name:  flange 1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  37.6 KB

Old 02-01-16, 04:46 AM
If you don't intend to raise the flooring, I'd just go with one of the repair flanges, like one of these:

Name:  flange1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  flange.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  6.9 KB

You would fasten it to the concrete with tapcons or the like.

If you get a wax ring with an insert, like this:
Name:  wax ring.png
Views: 221
Size:  11.6 KB

it will seal to what you have just fine.

Old 02-01-16, 04:49 AM
BTW, that picture of the wax ring shows it upside down...the insert extends into the pipe.

Old 02-01-16, 05:57 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Hard to tell from that fuzzy picture, but it almost looks like the plastic horn from the old wax ring is still inside the pipe making it look smaller.
If it is it should just pull straight out.

Old 02-01-16, 11:05 AM
After looking at it a bit closer, I am thinking it may indeed be the remains of the wax ring. Thanks! I ran a screwdriver down the inside, and it seems to be an insert, maybe 2-3" deep. There is definitely some wax there, as it came up on the screwdriver. Of course, the blasted thing is NOT going to come out easily - I tried to lift it out (not happening!) and then I tried to pry it. No movement at all. I'll let my husband take a look at it later - do you think that heating it (hair dryer, heat gun, etc) would help loosen the wax and make it easier to lift out?