Humming noise from new thermostatic cartridge

Old 02-15-16, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humming noise from new thermostatic cartridge

I was having trouble with low pressure and lukewarm water in my shower. I replaced the thermostatic cartridge (Graff - V-2254.99.5Z) and put on a new shower head. I now have good pressure, nice hot water and a happy wife. All very important.

However, I get a high pitched humming sound from the cartridge until the shower comes up to temperature. There is no noise until hot water reaches the system, then it hums while it is warming up. The noise stops when it has found the right mix. The noise kicks in briefly if I adjust the temperature upwards. There is no noise introduced if I turn the temperature down.

This installation has a single temperature control with two separate flow controls for a rain type shower head and a hand held wand. The noise happens using either head.

What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
I don't think you did anything wrong. You just are unfortunate to have conditions that cause the cartridge or piping to resonate. Changing the shower head or installing a flow restrictor may alter the flow enough to prevent the noise.

Old 03-14-16, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It has become somewhat intermittent. Some days no noise at all. We've just learned to live with it. If it gets annoying I may try a different shower head.