Water hammer, shaking pipes-but no hot water?

Old 02-18-16, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water hammer, shaking pipes-but no hot water?

Hi all - I am working to fix my utility sink. For a long time, the hot water faucet would run for 5 seconds, then make a loud noise and water would stop. Barely opening the copper pipe valve resulted in loud noises and shaking until pressure built and the water stopped. I assumed it was a water hammer issue, or otherwise related with the pipes. I drained the system, no such luck.

I took a look at both faucet handles and washers first, but saw no signs of damage.

At my wits end, I thought, "is there a chance it's the flexible pipe going from the copper valve to the faucet?" I switched the flexible pipes, cold to hot, hot to cold. Lo and behold, suddenly the hot water works just fine running through the cold faucet flexible line and handle.

So, what's next? The flexible pipe isn't accessible under the sink, so I really don't want to replace it. I'd have to take the sink off the wall, I think. Is there a chance this issue could be caused by the faucet itself hardware? And if it IS the flexible pipe, what would cause these symptoms?

Thanks.

Name:  IMG_0938.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  15.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0939.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  19.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-16, 06:10 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
The flex lines have nothing to to do with it.
Draining the whole system is going to nothing but add air into the lines.
Back up and tell us what caused this to happen. Any plumbing changes?
Checked the incoming water pressure?

Old 02-18-16, 07:45 PM
No changes. Recently moved in and have dealt with this issue. Haven't checked pressure yet. I am wondering how to formally rule out the flex line or faucet, because when I flip the lines, the hot works fine and the cold line becomes the issue.

Old 02-19-16, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking the hot valve stem on the faucet itself is bad since water is flowing through the flex line from the hot angle stop valve.

Remove the hot side handle and post a picture of the valve stem, or just shut off the water at the stops, remove the stem and take it to a plumbing store for replacement.

Also, do not barely open the hot angle stop, this will cause shaking/shuddering. Both angle stops should be fully open.

Old 02-19-16, 08:46 AM
Will do tonight. I inspected the stems of both and they looked fine, but I am no expert. I am also going to try to clean it and the tiny pipe going from the stem to the faucet. It's almost as though a flake of loose material is clogging the pipe or flex hose, "flapping" with the water flow causing the short spurts.

Old 02-19-16, 09:46 AM
If not the stems, the angle stop probably needs changed as well as the flex line.
The stop washer will deteriorate and when you open and close the valve, pieces will fall off into the line.