Tile shower leaking through missing grout spots

Old 02-20-16, 04:29 PM
Tile shower leaking through missing grout spots

My dad's house has a second story shower that was done in tile. On the floor where the shower wall meets the floor - both done in tile - some grout is missing. This has caused water to leak out, through the subfloor. There is a little dry rot to the subfloor but not much. The joist beams are fine - no rot.

The shower has been unused for a few days, drying out. Is there a product I can put in the missing grout gaps that will seal everything and prevent future leaks?

If so, do the tiles need any prepping for the sealant in question to better adhere to both the shower wall and floor tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-16, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Missing grout should not allow a properly installed shower base to leak. Do you have any idea how the shower pan was constructed? If it wasn't properly built with a pvc liner and proper slope, then it will leak, and the only solution would be to tear it out and do it correctly. There is no sealant that will stop the leaking if this pan is not lined.

You may want to post a couple of pictures of the shower base and walls (not close ups) so we can see what you have. It may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-21-16, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure, regarding the shower pan. I'm guessing one wasn't used and that is why it is leaking like this. Is there a way to seal it for a period of time until the tile can be removed and the shower repaired/rebuilt correctly?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-16, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
You can try grouting in the areas where it's missing. It may help. Still, the tile and grout are not the waterproof layer in a shower. They are just the pretty things on top. The real water sealing is with a pan on the bottom and sometimes a membrane on the walls.

Since you are now noticing the leak I would assume it has been leaking for some time. The wood may have rotted enough to allow movement which cracked and broke out the grout. If that's the case then the shower should be repaired as soon as possible. If you put it off you'll only be in for a more extensive and expensive repair. Catch it soon and it could be confined to just the shower. Let it go and there may be structural damage to the house.

Old 02-21-16, 10:14 AM
Any way we can get pictures that aren't close ups???? Need to see the entrance and the drain as well.

Old 02-21-16, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Missing grout on or around the curb would be very suspect as well as missing caulk in the corners where two walls meet. Many times grout is used in the corners instead of a flexible caulking. A proper pan, which there should be one, would not be the cause of the leak unless the drain body itself was damaged. Also would like to see the door and how it is caulked.

As previously mentioned, wide shots of the overall shower will show us what we are dealing with.

And, the missing grout should be replaced with flexible caulking in the pictures you show.

Old 02-21-16, 03:45 PM
Is there a particular type of caulking I can/should use?

So apparently the shower was built without a pan so that certainly explains the leaking when the grout failed.

So the shower will certainly need to be rebuilt. For the meantime, will caulking all the gaps in the floor/wall seems seal it for now?

What about any missing grout in the middle of the floor? Can I regrout it and then seal the titles with a marine/waterproof sealant?

More pictures:

Old 02-21-16, 05:37 PM
One obvious question is what is that gray pipe in the corner? Does it go through the floor? Is it pvc conduit?

Old 02-21-16, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gray pole is a spring loaded pole that holds shelves for condiments.

Do us a favor, measure how thick the curb is on the outside of the door and also how thick it is on the inside of the door. Provide those 2 measurements to us please. Also, remove the handle and trim from the faucet handle and take a picture of the cross section of the wall behind the trim.

Edit - missing grout shows movement which is not good in any time installation.

Last edited by czizzi; 02-21-16 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 02-21-16, 08:35 PM
You mean measuring from the edge of the curb to the sliding door rail?

Old 02-22-16, 03:01 AM
Name:  shower.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  28.6 KB

Measure up and down on the outside and the inside of the curb..

Old 02-22-16, 11:24 AM
Inside of shower is 3.5'' and outside of shower is 4.5/8''

If I remove all the floor grout and use epoxy grout, will that seal everything?

Old 02-22-16, 03:46 PM
From those measurements you only have 1 1/8" slope from the edge to the drain which indicates that a proper slope was not utilized. I don't know that you have an option but to rebuild it. It is already leaking and it won't dry out, so expect water damage to continue. Even if you were to stop the future water, you likely still have rot underneath.

I'll let the others chime in with possible avenues of repair.

Old 02-22-16, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Grout is not waterproof and a bead of caulk over time is not a reliable way to keep moisture out. Your measurements indicate that there probably is a pan liner of some sort used or at least the area inside the shower is built up compared to the outside. I also agree that a preslope and a slope in general is questionable as the drain body sets smack dab in the middle of a 12x12 tile. The pattern on the floor could not be obtained if the floor was correctly sloped in all directions toward the drain. You have a situation where water is sitting stagnant underneath the tile and has loosened the integrity of whatever mudbed is underneath it. It also would appear that this has cause failure at the drain. This would explain all the grout missing which is the result of movement either from damaged subflooring or degraded mudbed. That would be my observation.

Old 02-25-16, 10:13 PM
Alright. Financially, I'm not able able to rip out the tile to redo it right now. Can I scrape out the existing grout and apply epoxy grout to the corners and floor, and then a few coats of sealer? Will that temporarily fix it? - 6 months, at least - till I can properly address this and tear out the tile and do it right.

Old 02-26-16, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Is there a basement or crawlspace underneath this bathroom or is it on a slab? If you have wood framing in the area of this shower it's probably being compromised by the water. The water is already escaping the shower so it's probably underneath it as well. Sealing the shower now still leaves the water underneath to rot the sub flooring and framing.

Epoxy grout really won't help much and would probably be a waste of money. From your pictures it appears that your tile is already loose and moving. Any grout you apply now will likely crack and break rather quickly. Even if you seal up those open cracks water can still seep through the other grout to get behind the tile. Again, the key thing to remember is that the tile and grout is NOT the waterproofing. It's just the pretty stuff on top. The water is contained by what's underneath/behind the tile.

Water is leaking and if there is wood underneath it is being damaged regardless of your money situation. The water doesn't care about your bank account. Fix it now and it will be $. Wait and it will be even more expensive to fix $$.

Old 03-03-16, 08:35 AM
Is this the best method for repairing/redoing this?
So how can I properly fix this? Is there a way to remove the tiles without breaking them to reuse them?

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/ud...52203-file.mp4

Last edited by beedoola; 03-03-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-03-16, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately, the base of the shower, the first row of wall tile and the curb tile are usually sacrificed in the process of correcting a leaking pan or drain. Chances of getting them out without damage are nill. Try to find a complimentary tile that yo can live with that works with the existing wall tile.