Dishwasher has rotten smell

Old 02-23-16, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher has rotten smell

Dishwasher is less than 5 years old it cleans and drains fine, but if you put just a few rinsed off dishes in it when you open the dishwasher the next morning it smells terrible. With no dishes in it over night there is no smell at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-16, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
I've noticed the same thing but it depends what residue is left on the dishes.

Have you run a cleaner thru your dishwasher ?
There are many to choose from. Some people use Tang.

I prefer Affresh for dishwashers. I use it every couple of months and it does a great job of cleaning the minerals as well as controlling odors inside the machine.

Old 02-23-16, 05:28 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I think its normal. The worst smell is salad dishes that used various dressings left overnight in the dishwasher.

Old 02-23-16, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
One thing I didn't mention that is important is the drain hose positioning. It's important that it be fastened up high under the countertop to form a trap to keep dirty water from coming back into the machine. It could be a combination of dirty water left behind as well as the addition of the dirty dishes that are creating the odor.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 02-24-16, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The drain line makes a loop up high then ties into disposer. The crazy thing is that this just started about a year ago the other years no smell. I have cleaned all filters, disposer and ran cleaners through machine. Could there be something wrong with machine?

Old 02-24-16, 03:34 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Just grasping at straws here. Are you using well water or city water? Are you sure your sink traps are filled with water? Although if not you'd smell sewer gas from the sink. But check anyway. Is the disposal (if you have one) clean? Is the smell electrical in nature or just of rotting food (organic)? Is the interior of the DW plastic or stainless? Try running a full cycle with no dishes or soap or anything, just plain water. Then leave it empty, closed for several days. Then open it and smell it. If it smells after several days from a clean run then I'd say the interior is saturated with some type of chemical or is deteriorating.