Shower P-trap in a tight spot

Old 03-06-16, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower P-trap in a tight spot

My plumber is gone for a few weeks and I need to get the project moving. I opened the shower box today and after some measuring, it looks like the 2" pipe is exactly in line with the location of the shower drain. But since there's concrete around the box, I'm unable to simply put the P-trap in a straight line. I bought pretty much every 2" fitting and have tried to figure out the best way to do it. Overthinking is usually a sign of something being wrong so I decided to ask you experts. The only direction that I do have plenty of room is down. The shower stall sits 5.5" above the top of the 2" pipe that's in the ground. The center of the shower drain is at right side of the 18" mark on the ruler.

My idea was to use two 45 elbows to get the drain pipe offset. Then a 90 to which the actual P-trap would be connected. I guess it'd look sort of like a question mark. It just seems pretty crazy.

If at all possible, I'd like to avoid having to get the hammer drill out. Not sure how easy it will be to gently work around the encased PVC pipe without damaging it. I'd need to go 5" into the concrete if I go that route.

Any good options?
Name:  problem.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  48.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
All we can see is the top of the framing square. Remove it and the gravel from around the pipe, say 3" or so, at least. We need to see the entire pipe.

Old 03-07-16, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I'm going to say that the chance of this going in without additional excavation of the slab are probably small.

Old 03-07-16, 06:51 AM
OK, here's two more pictures. Hope they clarify the situation.
Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1207.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  43.1 KB

Old 03-07-16, 07:35 PM
Here's my best effort. I'm 1/2" high but I can raise the shower that much if I can't find a "street shower drain" if such a thing exists. Is there anything inherently wrong with this configuration? It's obviously not optimal.

I would put a 45 to connect this contraption to the drainpipe.

Name:  IMG_1208.jpg
Views: 3953
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1209.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  20.7 KB

Old 03-08-16, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It seems you have solved the problem using a conglomeration of fittings. Are you using a preformed pan? You didn't mention that in the OP. Just wondering what is dictating the location.

Old 03-08-16, 06:39 AM
Yes, it's a preformed 36x36 two-piece shower stall. Since this is a new bathroom, I could theoretically move the whole thing enough to get the P-trap straight but I would be eating up valuable space by doing that, which is why I want to make it work where it was intended to be.

Do you see any red flags with the "conglomeration of fittings"?