Leaking Moen Faucet due to clogged aerator???

Old 03-14-16, 04:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Moen Faucet due to clogged aerator???

Just installed a Moen Voss bath faucet and it leaks from the faucet body where the supply lines are attached. This is a model with the pre-attached supply lines. I called Moen and they ask me if I flushed it with the aerator removed. Yes I did. She tells me to run it without the aerator attached. No leaks. So she tells me that the aerator is clogged or defective causing excess back pressure which is causing a leak within the faucet body. Doesnt make sense to me, but would like folks to chime in. Its a single handle faucet. Model 6903BN. Thanks!

Old 03-14-16, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Thats nonsense.. Too much back pressure?? LOLOL

Umm the water supply lines are always at the psi of the incoming water.

Even if you blocked the aerator with your had the faucet should not leak...

She tells me to run it without the aerator attached. No leaks. - \

Be specific... Where are the leaks?

Old 03-14-16, 06:51 PM
D
Thanks for the response. The leak is from the black (plastic) body where the supply lines connect. Your comment about blocking the aerator and the faucet not leaking is spot on.

Old 03-14-16, 11:27 PM
So she tells me that the aerator is clogged or defective causing excess back pressure which is causing a leak within the faucet body
That's true, I've ran into this before. If the aerator is blocked or not seated properly, the water will "back up" a little inside the spout and spill down into the cabinet.

If the aerator is not clogged, remove and reinstall it making sure the O-ring is seated properly and it's not cross threaded.

Old 03-15-16, 04:56 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
This sunrises me. Moen quality is taking a big down turn if this is what they are supplying. Plastic body? NO! I won't buy it.

This is an excerpt from a consumer review of this particular model faucet (from AMAZON)...Note he had already gotten a replacement because of poor quality on the first unit.

"But once I installed the faucet and started using it, the faucet body started leaking. It was because of the leaking plastic base inside the faucet (the part where the supply lines attach to). It leaked each time handle opened water flow - probably a leaky seal between the metal body internal channel and the plastic base. It cannot be easily repaired as the plastic base is an integral part of the metal body at this point."

He later goes on to say that he had the forethought to flush the faucet without the aerator installed. Lots of murky water and debris flowed out. This is unacceptable. Those faucets bodies should be cleaned out before going to market.

All the other reviews were 4 to 5 stares but this guy gave a true two star review based on quality and design. Up until now I would buy Moen without a second thought. I will think twice about a Moen faucet in the future. Sorry Moen you now drop to third place behind Delta and AM Std on my list of quality units.

Old 03-15-16, 09:09 AM
It was because of the leaking plastic base inside the faucet (the part where the supply lines attach to). It leaked each time handle opened water flow - probably a leaky seal between the metal body internal channel and the plastic base
The writer of that review had the same problem as the OP here, the aerator was incorrectly installed. The reviewer just didn't realize it. No one would think an improperly installed aerator would effect proper operation of a faucet.
This is a bad design on Moen's part. The first time I saw this, water did not simply trickle out the faucet bottom, it gushed out as if the spout was operating in reverse. It flooded a brand new expensive vanity and I was baffled. Once the aerator is installed properly with a good seal, the faucet operates normally.

Old 03-15-16, 07:04 PM
This is a bad design on Moen's part.
And this is my point. The fix or the proper procedure is fine and resolves a problem that should not have been manifested in the first place. Plastic is not the proper material to use in this application, as you found out. It makes them look cheap and undesirable. A more extensive field testing should've been made before marketing. And those field test should've been made by people that have no connection with Moen in any way other than being given the product to try out. I will now be very wary of a Moen product.

Old 03-18-16, 09:36 AM
D
Update. Installed the replacement aerator from Moen. Still leaks. They said they would send me a new cartridge even after I told them I had removed it and it looked fine. I insisted I wouldn't experiment with a new Cartridge and that they needed to send me a whole new Faucet. I get the new Faucet next Tuesday. I offered to send them the old one but they don't want it. Their reluctance to make this right is infuriating. If they were really interested in understanding the issue they would have wanted the old one back. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-18-16, 10:13 AM
If they were really interested in understanding the issue they would have wanted the old one back.
They understand the issue, it's a bad design and they are not willing to do a recall IMO. Moen probably understands faucets better than anyone. Rarely if ever will proper operation of a faucet depend on the aerator being "perfect".

I don't want to defend them, but if the aerator is installed with no leaks, the faucet will not backflow and is technically not defective. We know better.

Old 03-18-16, 11:06 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I haven't bought any faucets for more than fifteen years but even twenty years ago Moen made several different "levels" of fixtures. The ones sold in the big box mega-mart homecenters were specifically made to sell at a lower cost than their premium fixtures. Often the part number was the same with the exception of a single prefix or suffix which denoted the contract with whatever store was selling the item.

I had purchased a Moen kitchen faucet for my laundry room (20 plus years ago) and it was definitely the lower tier product with lots of plastic. My daddy purchased the same model from a plumbing supply store and he was incensed when the cost was double what I paid. I showed him where the faucet he bought was solid brass and weighed at least twice as much as my faucet. My faucet had problems within a year or two and his lasted past the time I sold the house at least ten years (maybe more) later. I really should have taken that faucet out and substituted a cheapie before selling.

Bottom line, you will pay more at the plumbing supply house but you often get a superior product compared to the homecenter.

Old 03-18-16, 04:58 PM
Furd, I don't deny what you say above might have been true back twenty years ago, but unless you can provide proof, that is no longer true today. I won't bother going into the why and wherefore. But I have it on good authority that any particular MOEN, AM STd, DELTA, or any other brand is the same regardless of who sells it. There is no tier level on a particular model number.

On the other hand, for instance, DELTA makes PEERLESS and it is in fact a price point lower level faucet. Still good quality but it does have plastic and is of lesser quality than a true DELTA.

I mention DELTA in particular because just yesterday we had our annual product fair where all our vendors will come to our sponsored reception hall in Buffalo and show all the associates new product, existing product, new innovations, new ideas and explain current marketing strategies. We have nearly 50 vendors showing (with actual product at each table) over several thousand products many with different names you may not associate with a particular manufacturer.

We as associates are told to grill these vendors with all kinds of questions and related problems we see during the year. And we do our job! Many manufacturers have made changes based on our input.

Just as a heads up here are a couple of items several of us in this forum may be interested in.

Deck Stain

Marksr, this one is for you. Sikkins deck stains is often touted as the Cadillac of stains and still is. But it no longer is made by the original manufacturer (for the US market). PPG has purchased manufacturing rights and formula of the product, BUT not the name. As a result the Sikkins name will be phased out and a new name will take its place with something like PRO Stain or some such name.

Floods stain will no longer be sold in the big box stores (except for the UV-5 product) in our area (maybe for the nation) but instead will be an exclusive to the small franchise hardware/ home improvement store such as ACE or True Value or similar.

LED light bulbs

I mentioned to the GE rep that I always tell the customer to read the fine print on the bulb ballast to get a true understanding of what the bulb is capable of. Including the phrase " Not to be used in totally enclosed luminaries". I told him my understanding is that using such stated bulb in a totally enclosed luminary will not be a safety hazard but will diminish the proposed life span. He agreed but would only say so for the GE brand. He told me to be very cautious about saying this to customers for other brand bulbs. He said he has actually seen LEDs flash into flame when used in the wrong luminary.

Also concerning lighting, I said that I am very upset over the fact that the manufacturers and specifically GE is still using the wattage as a lighting level indicator on their boxes to sell the public. They should be using only lumens. They agreed and told me they will in fact begin to decrease the print of wattage and increase the lumens rating on bulbs packaging. They prefer to phase into it slowly. Half battle won is better than none.

Storm Doors

PELLA storm doors are NOT PELLA made doors. They are manufactured and wholly owned by LARSON. PELLA windows are totally separate entity with no relationship with LARSON. Larson owns the PELLA name for storm doors.

Old 03-18-16, 09:31 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Bottom line: Brand name means absolutely nothing these days. What may have been an excellent product years ago may now be built by some company that simply bought the name. Each and every item on a store shelf must be evaluated as if it were made by a company with no history...an impossible chore.

I'm glad that my life is close to being over as this is simply not an acceptable course of action to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: