Does this look correct?

Old 03-16-16, 07:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does this look correct?

I just had my shower redone. First off i am using brushed nickel and the faucet plate they put in is either chrome/stainless steel and also the plate isn't flush to the tile/wall. it is sticking out about a half an inch or so and filled in with some clear caulk or something. I have never seen a plate not flush to the wall. Can someone tell me if the above is normal? i tried to post pictures but for some reason can't do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 07:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Welcome to the forums! .... try this - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-16-16, 09:21 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Who installed the valve?
The the plate and handle can be changed in about 5 min.

Old 03-16-16, 01:24 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The plate should not sit off the wall, it should be flush to the wall.

Your pictures will most likely have to be sized down to web quality in order to upload.

Will need a picture with the plate removed eventually to see what they did back there unless you have access to the back side of the valve.

Old 03-16-16, 03:00 PM
T
The valve and all plumbing is the same as it was before. They have done no plumbing whatsoever, but he is saying that he needs to change the plumbing for the plate to sit flush to the wall, however it was flush before they switched the tile.

Old 03-16-16, 03:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
About how old is your house, mainly the old bath tile? Do you know if the previous tile was installed over a mud wall versus the modern day cement board?

Old 03-16-16, 07:28 PM
T
the house was built in 1978... i am sure it is the original shower but i am not sure what was behind it. i think it was some kind of board just because of what i saw but not 100% sure.

Old 03-17-16, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
1978 could go either way. Most houses of that era used greenboard behind the tile although some still used the old mud and lath which is not only better but thicker. It is a LOT harder to tear out than drywall or cement board!

I wonder if the builder doubled up on the greenboard which would account for the 1/2" If so your contractor should have realized that and either furred out the studs or doubled up on the cement board. I assume he knew ahead of time that the existing plumbing was staying as is.

Old 03-17-16, 04:27 PM
T
we never discussed any plumbing issues until he called me a week ago (we were waiting on frameless shower door) and told me that he couldn't find a certain part to do with the plate and that it was his fault and that he was going to change the plumbing at no charge.... and then tried to pull this off and i called him on it, and when i reminded him of what he said he said he didn't say that. He is threatening to sue me since i still owe him money. i don't have a problem paying him i just want this job done right. There are other issues i am not even mentioning.

Old 03-17-16, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Were you going to post pictures?

Old 03-18-16, 05:54 AM
T
Let me see if i can resize them....

Old 03-18-16, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about the guy suing you. Just take a lot of pictures, if he does sue you he will lose.

I wouldn't pay a dime until the valve is fixed. Anyone working on a shower should know the distance the valve needs to be set back from the wall. As mentioned, the depth could have been adjusted by moving the valve back further or shimming out the wall studs.

I'm a contractor and I can't imagine asking a customer to sign off on a job with a valve sticking out of the wall an extra 1/2", that's just not going to happen with any customers I have met.

You could give him a time limit to fix it and tell him if he doesn't you will pay someone else to fix it using the money he is owed.

*If you have MS Office Picture Manager, it does a good job of resizing