Hose lines instead of copper - max length - other options

Old 04-09-16, 05:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hose lines instead of copper - max length - other options

So my significant other wants to use a room for cutting hair and wants a shampoo bowl. The room (a bedroom) has the mechanicals including the hot water heater in a closet.

Though I probably have the skills as I've done many smaller plumbing project, I really don't want to do something very permanent for a few reasons (mainly a lot of work, tight space with furnace and if I move).

I was thinking of replacing the hot water heater (16 years old) and adding shutoffs with connectors for the shampoo bowl to the copper pipes above the water heater. These would connect using hoses (braided? washing machine?) to the bowl which would be approximately 10' away (accounting for the height too). The drain would drain to the floor drain in the utility closet.

Is this crazy? I really don't want to install a whole new network of piping in this closet to run it right next to where the bowl will be. This will be for occasional use only.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-16, 05:40 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not a plumber, but PEX seems to be the feed of choice these days. Easy to handle and assemble. Plenty of available connectors.

Old 04-09-16, 07:14 PM
M
PEX is not to code where I live, but it could be part of a temporary solution I suppose.

Old 04-10-16, 01:20 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
If your local code won't allow PEX then it surely won't allow ten-foot long hoses. Neither would it allow waste from a sink to simply drop to a floor drain.

Sounds like either a proper plumbing job or that your SO will have to give up her dream.

AND, if she had plans of charging for her work then there are zoning issues that need to be explored as well.

Old 04-10-16, 05:12 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
I supposed you could construct a roll about unit vaguely the size and shape of a washing machine that had a built in tank for waste water and had hose connections on the back that accepted washing machine hoses. A bilge pump or sump pump inside would exhaust the water to a bathtub or shower when needed.

As for a washing machine, the wall hookup for the hoses must have shutoff valves which should be turned off when the bowl apparatus is not in use. Flooding from burst washing machine hoses ranks way up there in terms of insurance claims.

Old 04-10-16, 08:01 AM
I know of no code that limits the length of a supply line.
I use long lines for the following:

- Refrigerator Ice Line; 10 feet
- Dishwasher, when dishwasher is mounted in a peninsula; 8 to 12 feet. For the 12 feet I connect two 6' lines together with a compression coupler/union.

I don't like the valves being above the water heater though and the drain is iffy. I wouldn't invite any building inspectors over for a shampoo.