Used plumbers putty to install drain flange on granite-y sink

Old 04-14-16, 10:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used plumbers putty to install drain flange on granite-y sink

Hi all,

Very excited to have joined this community, as I suspect I'll have many questions for everyone. We recently moved into a new house with lots of problems. One problem that I thought was in the scope of my abilities to remedy is the replacement of an old, rusted, and leaking garbage disposal. I did it, no problems, but then happened to read the warning on the back of the Oatey Sta Put container: DO NOT USE STA PUT IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH MARBLE, GRANITE OR OTHER POROUS STONE, CERAMICS OR MANUFACTURED SUBSTITUTES. I have a stone-like, seemingly porous sink that appears to be some sort of composite (says PMMA on the bottom) and I'm worried that I have ruined the damn thing. Should I remove the flange and replace with silicone or stainless plumbers putty, or is the damage (if any) too late to undo?

Many thanks-- I was up late feeling bad for accelerating rather than reversing the entropy of the house. This is after I fixed the dishwasher not-draining problem, but only after having water pour out all over the wood floor, resulting in some minor cupping. My wife is, understandably, not pleased.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-16, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it will be fine.

Old 04-14-16, 11:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
You've gotta love the label. I've laughed at it before. With their exclusions there are almost no sinks you can use it on except glass and metal. I use plumbers putty on all sinks including white cultured marble ones and have never had a problem. I think the issue relates to possible staining. Plumbers putty is basically just clay with mineral oil. Some porous materials can absorb the oil and take on a darker or stained appearance.

Old 04-14-16, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Yes I would remove the putty and use a type of silicone.. You did no damage now but over time certain surfaces will get hairline cracks from the putty...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...trainer.html#b

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65080[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 04-14-16, 01:26 PM
D
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and replace w/ the stainless putty, just so I can sleep easy.

Old 04-14-16, 02:46 PM
I do plumbing work after new granite installs, and all other counter surfaces.
Regarding the staining, this a huge warning for others:

Do not roll out the putty on the counter surface, especially granite. Rolling the putty will leave what looks like oily tracks or a big stain.

The stain will not come out and I've had situations where the counter needed replaced at great expense.

Old 04-14-16, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Wow, that's crazy!

Old 04-14-16, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
The stain will not come out and I've had situations where the counter needed replaced at great expense.
Yup... Tell us how we know!!!! LOL