Toilet won't refill after flush

Old 04-21-16, 07:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet won't refill after flush

So if you flush the toilet it doesn't refill. However if I turn the water off then back on it will fill up but again only one time. Any idea what part I need to fix this?

Here is a video of it sorry I went sideways after a few moments

https://youtu.be/iGfTWLTQUd8

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-16, 09:51 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
defective fill valve. replace.

Old 04-22-16, 04:24 AM
F
I had a similar problem with my toilet recently, but not quite as frequent. I'd get a few flushes out of it and then it wouldn't refill. For me, all it would take was tapping the little gray float arm and it would refill.

It looks like you've got the same fill valve assembly that is in my toilets...I found it to be a Fluidmaster 400 series. Checking online for any fixes, I did find some write-ups and videos that showed how to take the black cap off the top of the valve and then just basically flushing the valve out. That's all I've done with mine thus far and it's been consistently filling after being flushed.

When I searched on it, it seemed to be a rather well-known "issue" with that particular assembly so if you don't want to deal with the possibility of having to clean out the fill valve later, it probably would be better to replace it - possibly with another style.

EDIT: I found one of the videos I referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txuOZoZ4Xo

The only thing this one doesn't mention (I think) is the seal underneath the top cap. I did take that seal out and cleaned it off as well, just in case.

Old 04-22-16, 05:23 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Good video. We sell a lot of this unit. Never had this complaint. But good to know.

Old 04-26-16, 09:11 AM
G
Tried the method suggested in video still does this after 1 flush. Decided to just get a overhaul kit for the whole thing. Wish me luck!

Old 04-26-16, 09:50 AM
F
Bummer the "quick fix" didn't work.

But, at least a new one isn't too expensive and from what I saw, it doesn't look to difficult to swap out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!