Slow toilet draining

Old 05-10-16, 01:29 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow toilet draining

I recently moved into place that has a full bathroom in the finished basement. The toilet was an issue draining before and I tore it out and replaced with another toilet. The newer one worked fine for a couple days and is now back to the bowl filling up with water almost to over flowing and then takes forever to drain.
I have plunged and snaked both toilets with no results. Another concern I noticed is the drain for shower, toilet and sink all run to a sump pump well and the water is drained out by the pump. I removed the cover today for first time and don't see any fecal matter or paper products in there so now I am even more confused on where that is going considering the distance from toilet to pump well is only about 5-6 feet. I removed toilet once so know the drain was roughed in at construction.

Since I'm renting the place and get all kinds of excuses from landlord to avoid paying someone, I want to try and correct this myself so I am not getting stuck with a hefty plumber bill. Any advise is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-16, 02:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, that's an ejector pump not a sump pump. Do you use Charmin toilet paper?

Old 05-10-16, 02:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't think you should even have replaced the toilet as a tenant, unless the landlord blessed that task. I know you're not getting the traction you want but you need to get the landlord involved.

Old 05-10-16, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
As a tenant I would recommend you get written permission from the landlord for anything you do.

It is the landlords responsibility to provide a toilet that works. If it doesn't they (not you) need to fix it. That is why you pay rent. If the landlord is fighting you on it I would vote with me feet and move. Barring that your next step is to hire someone to fix the problem and deduct it from the rent. If you go that route you should first send the landlord written notice of the problem and keep all receipts for the repair.

Old 05-11-16, 07:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

I am not a plumber. Based upon what you said and others have stated, you being the tenant need to have the landlord involved. To which I agree.

Thinking outside the box... Few possible causes come to mind:

The line between toilet and ejector pump is either restricted or worse yet, lacks the angle (pitch) to allow the water and debris from toilet to quickly flow out and into pump . Line may not even have any pitch (angle) or a sufficient downward pitch or angle...

Roof top air vent (vents) may be clogged up or restricted either for the toilet or the pump or both.

3 Pump lineout out of pump and or from pump may be clogged up. Visual check may indicate a slow rate of ejector pump volume out of the collection box.

Causes above to possibly consider but not attempt to correct as a tenant. My bet would be on the line between toilet and ejector pump collection box being incorrectly angled (pitched) or just level. Both would cause incomplete flow and/or drainage! Installation not likely done by a knowledgeable licensed plumber, not to code, handyman or landlord done job!...

My Two Cents...