Tub Install - first of two simple questions

Old 05-13-16, 05:39 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Install - first of two simple questions

Thanks in advance!

I'm installing an acrylic tub. Ordinary 30x60 soaker, no jets or anything. Instructions call for a bed of mortar beneath the tub. A few years ago I installed an acrylic shower pan, used thinset, and within a few weeks it started to flex. Somebody on the forum suggested I used the wrong stuff. So I want to be 100% sure this time. I'm going to post a link for a product, hoping for a thumbs up or down.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...97312091123893

If anybody has a link to a good video on a straighforward mortar bed for a tub, I'd be grateful.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-16, 09:03 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Thin set is a different product from mortar.

When I installed my whirlpool tub several years ago I used either mortar or perhaps concrete topping mix. Topping mix is essentially concrete but without any large stones. I first tried putting a big glob of the mix in place and then setting the tub, standing in it to squish the mortar but that didn't work at all and it never squished down to the point where all four legs of the tub were in contact with the floor. Then I scraped it down to a level a bit less than the space between the tub and the floor and from there I shoved the "mud" under the tub until it was solid.

It has been about ten years or so and the floor of the tub is still rock solid. Of course to do it in this manner means that you have to have access so don't fully enclose the base until the tub is solidly in place

Old 05-28-16, 09:39 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the previous reply.

I had to send the tub back because I found it was dented. So I'm just getting around to the install now.

After I lay the bed and install the tub, do I want to screw it to the studs immediately? Or should I wait to secure it until the mortar has dried (24-48hrs)?

Thanks