Tub spout installation - do slip-on's really work?

Old 05-15-16, 06:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub spout installation - do slip-on's really work?

I have a bathroom out of commission at the moment due to a spout water leak. So far, I've purchased two kits (both Danco's), and I have yet to have one actually have all of the parts. I discovered the leak when someone happened to notice the downstairs ceiling. Yeah, you know, they walk under it for weeks before telling dad... sigh... anyway

The real reason for my post is that there are two main varieties of spouts - screw on and slip on. It just seems to me that the slip-on's are cheap substitutes for taking a little extra time and installing a threaded end on the spout pipe.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone else had the o-ring fail?

Oh, one other question - I have three other showers, so one being out of commission isn't a crisis. This is a Moen setup, maybe I should just order from them a replacement?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-16, 06:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How did you determine that it was the spout that caused the leak? Is there also an hand held shower head, in that tub?

Old 05-15-16, 09:32 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I also doubt that the spout leak is what you are noticing downstairs. But eitherway, the slip on compression spouts are fine and are not a cheap sub, they perform as designed and divert water to the shower head. Tell us a little more about the tub/shower so we can zero in on your leak.

Old 05-15-16, 07:49 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Have you removed the spout you have now to see if they used a cheap galv. nipple to make the connection?
They always rust out and end up leaking.

Old 05-16-16, 03:07 AM
C
was just curious :)

Well, having never had to replace the spout before, I'm ignorant. So if the screw on's rust out, okay. Anyway, a month ago, i had to replace the cartridge in this Moen unit. When I did that, I also took a look at the spout as it was pretty jammed up (the diverter pull). I think I damaged the o-ring reinstalling it.

As far as diagnosing the leak, it had to be the cartridge area or the spout. Working the spout forward 1", I can see the leak. Mark I eyeball.

Appreciate the comments.

Old 05-16-16, 06:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
it had to be the cartridge area or the spout.
Not necessarily. That's why I asked if there were a hand held shower head. I've seen water drip off the bottom loop of the hose & be thrown behind the spout or the shower body plate.