Tub spout keeps dripping even after turned off

Old 05-18-16, 11:50 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tub spout keeps dripping even after turned off

Here is how the tub and shower faucets looks like. Please click on the following Home Depot link (trust me, this is not a spam) : Delta Classic 1-Handle Tub and Shower Faucet Trim Kit in Chrome (Valve Not Included)-T13420 - The Home Depot

I have 2 issues going on.
1) When I fill water in the tub, there is also a continuous slow drip from the shower. The shower stops dripping when I move the single lever handle all the way to the hot. I am not sure what is going on. Any ideas? But, when I pull the diverter on to turn on the shower, there is no water drip from the tub spout at all. That works as it should be.

2) I am not sure if this issue is related to the one above. Once I finish taking shower and the water turned off, the tub spout keeps dripping and fills almost a gallon of bucket within 24 hours. The tub spout never stops dripping. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed that with the water turned off and the diverter pulled half way right in the middle, the tub spout doesn't drip. But, once I let it go to its normal position, it drips again. Any help would be really appreciated. I already paid a plumber $80 to look into this who said this is pretty common but I feel like there is something going on. Thanks for all of your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-16, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
1. The pipe up to your shower head is always open to the faucet and tub spout. When the tub spout is open water comes out there because it's the lowest point. If you close the diverter water simply backs up until it comes out the shower.

When your faucet is in the warm position it is using both hot and cold water which gives it the greatest flow volume which may be more than can flow by gravity out the tub spout. When you turn the knob all the way to hot you're only getting hot water or mostly hot water so the flow volume decreases and all the water is able to get out through the tub spout.

If you find this annoying enough you can try turning down the pressure on your houses pressure reducing valve (PRV) if you have one. Otherwise there isn't much you can do without either opening up the wall to gain access to the faucet and piping connecting it to the tub spout. If you have access to the pipes feeding the tub, maybe in the basement, then you could install valves and close them slightly to reduce the water flow to the tub. This would help the drip when filling the tub but would cause a loss in "pressure" when taking a shower but likely you only need to tweak it so it probably wouldn't be that big a difference.

2. If your tub spout never stops dripping you have a leaking faucet. The cartridge in the faucet should be replaced.

Old 05-19-16, 05:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds as if the shower body needs to be rebuilt. The cold side is not sealing completely. When you put the diverter in the half position, there may not be enough pressure to push the water to the shower head. Besides telling you that it's a common occurrence, did the plumber offer a solution?

Personally, I don't like that style where the same handle controls the pressure & the temperature at the same time. When I rebuilt a shower for my father, I used a Hans Grohe shower body that remembered the temp of your last shower. I'm sure that you don't want to spend that much money. I thought that I would mention it anyway.

Old 05-19-16, 07:00 PM
S
Thank you very much. That is exactly what an other plumber told me just a few minutes ago. He said he will come take care of this over the weekend, hopefully! Again, thanks a ton Pilot Dane!

Old 05-19-16, 07:09 PM
S
Thanks Pulpo! Yes, I don't like this kit either. But, that is what the house came with. May be I will consider your suggestion down the road. Thanks again.

Old 05-25-16, 03:24 PM
S
1. This is not yet fixed. The plumber replaced the valve and the pex piping including the tub spout. When the water from the tub spout is lukewarm, the shower head keeps leaking but not when I turn the temperature all the way to either hot or cold. But, when I pull the diverter on to activate the shower, water doesn't drip from the tub spout (only a minor drip, is that common?). The plumber says the next step is to get access to the installation and the plumbing by tearing out the ceiling and the walls as this is the basement bathroom. So should I take the risk?

2) Replacing the valve stopped the tub spout from dripping once water is turned off. So I think this is fixed.