repair toilet shut off valve

Old 05-19-16, 10:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
repair toilet shut off valve

Hello Everyone, i have a toilet shut off that all of a sudden keeps turning and will not shut off, i am grateful that it broke on the on position. can i repair this somehow the pipes that lead into and out of it are not the standard size(1/2 inch), i was hoping i could repair it, can it be done, do you think? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-16, 11:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Replacing the valve is usually the only option. You'll just need to find a valve that works with what you have from the wall. There really is no standard from the wall. It depends on what your house is piped with whether it's copper, steel, PVC/CPVC or PEX.

Old 05-19-16, 01:13 PM
T
yes, i measured the copper pipe going into the shut off valve from the toilet and the micrometer said 5 so i guess that means half inch even though it looks smaller. the other end coming out of the wall seems to be silver in color, i am thinking it maybe a 1/2 inch steel but not sure.
do you know what size nuts go around it if it is a 1/2 inch, they look big too me?

Old 05-19-16, 03:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It may be a double threaded nipple that goes into the wall and screws into a threaded drop el. If that is the case, you may be able to change it out by simply unscrewing, add some teflon tape and screw the new one back into place. Make a trip to the box store and pick up threaded nipples both in 3/8" and 1/2" and take home to compare to what you have. Then you can purchase the correct valve. The different types of valves are Sweat, Compression and Threaded.

Old 05-19-16, 03:22 PM
T
ok, Thanks i will check it out

Old 05-19-16, 03:23 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Going to have to shut of the main water supply and flush the toilet to relieve the pressure before replacing the valve.