Garbage disposal Help - new sink makes it too low for p trap

Old 05-19-16, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal Help - new sink makes it too low for p trap

Hey experts can someone tell me what plumbing options I have here. We had new granite counter tops put in last week and new sink. After the install I was away a few days and today when I came home to hook everything back up I noticed the old P trap did not fit. What plumbing parts would I need to buy? Is there like a p trap extender or something?

Name:  20160515_182458.jpg
Views: 5002
Size:  26.2 KB

Also the old set up had a dishwasher vent installed now I have researched and have created a H Loop? to keep the disposal from running back into the dishwasher but how should i connect the gray piece to the dishwasher nipple? Can I just use some hose and tube clamps?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-16, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this a double sink? If so please post a picture of the whole sink showing how the other side is connected to the drain.

Old 05-19-16, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
First, spin your disposal 90 degrees (it will turn with some effort) to create some space between the outlet and your drain... then turn the disposal outlet 90 degrees so that the tail piece coming out of it is horizontal. Or better yet, use a straight outlet instead of an elbow. Then you should be able to hook a trap kit up.

And you can get a dishwasher to disposal kit at any big box store.

Old 05-20-16, 09:41 PM
ray2047 -This is only a single sink. The picture is kinda deceptive. The drain to the disposal is actually below the drain. I am attaching another picture of the disposal.

XSleeper - I am not sure I understand what you mean on turning it 90 degrees how will the P-trap connect to the drain? How will it attach if pointed horizontally.

Is the hose with the clamps acceptable for the dishwasher?

Name:  20160520_211401_resized_dish_washer.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  20160520_211353_resized.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 05-21-16, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, figured it was a double sink since you didn't say.

Old 05-21-16, 02:55 PM
One of my jobs is reconnecting sinks after counter installation. Your situation won't work.

The trap is too high. The picture is deceiving, you have the trap reversed. The low point of trap (facing out), goes towards wall. That places the trap much higher.

You can hook it up temporarily and water will "travel up hill", but it needs fixed soon.

The wall needs to be opened up and the sanitary tee and trap need to be lowered. It's not too hard once the wall is open and we can see what you're dealing with.

If you don't want to open the wall the only solution I see is to eliminate the disposer.

Old 05-21-16, 10:59 PM
Handyone,
I figured that was going to the response I got. Sinks have changed so much over the years I knew once I saw it someone may say it would not work. The house is older and I guess then deep sinks were not the rave! The P trap was on in reverse by accident. I was trying to see if there was some type of extension that would work but the guy at the home depot said something similar to what you saying. On the a job like when you cut the back of the cabinet what do you replace it with? I will probably open up the back of the cabinet but want to make it look nice once it is done. Any suggestions would be helpful. Do they sell replacement panels or patch panels of some sort? If anyone has a picture of a repair job please share.

Old 05-21-16, 11:06 PM
xSleeper - sorry did not see your response before I finished my reply. I am thinking a double sink would have been better at this point but the cabinet did not see wide enough and the double bowl would have had two really small compartments.

Old 05-22-16, 01:30 AM
We can help you with lowering the trap and replacing the cabinet back.

You need a sheet of 1/4" thick melamine to cover the back of the cabinet, Hard Rock Maple is the color name and the most popular color for cabinet interiors.
It's sold in 4 x 8 sheets and you might need to go to a lumber store (hardwood) rather than a home improvement store to get it.

Old 05-22-16, 01:28 PM
Handyone,
Thanks for the information. I take it I only cut a whole big enough to work with. Say 14 x 14 then replace makmaking the "cover" to fit the inside of the whole cabinet. Without really close inspection it would look like the original back correct?

Old 05-22-16, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes but I wouldn't make it that big. Maybe 6"x 10". I'd start even smaller and enlarge as need after I saw what I had. Maybe a 4"wx6"lng below the existing connection to start. Plan B is install a ready made access panel instead of patching the back. Looks neat and easy to do. Your new drain would come through the access panel so it really wouldn't be so much an access as a simple patch that would look okay.

Name:  FH07NOV_SHOFAU_05.JPG
Views: 2276
Size:  16.6 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-22-16 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 02:42 PM
The most important thing is to lower the trap, that's some semi-serious plumbing. Repairs for appearance can be made after that.
If you have no questions regarding lowering the trap and tee, you are doing well.
Hard rock maple will match any cabinet or come very close. You can patch a small hole or replace the entire back of the cabinet.
I'm real picky about repairing cabinets, but in reality the repairs will hardly ever be seen.

Old 06-07-16, 07:45 PM
So it looks like this is beyond the scope of what I can do after opening the back of the cabinet. I do have one possible solution though. The divider that separates the I kitchen from the dining room is where the pipe is running. It seems like the plumbing starts in the corner of the kitchen to the right and runs horizontally to the left (if standing in the kitchen). I think it is drilled through the 2 x 4's if I open the wall from the the other side I may see the plumbing. From below the kitchen in my unfinished basement area I see what appears to be the plumbing. Any thoughts?

Old 06-07-16, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
How about a picture of what you found.

Old 06-07-16, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Just to clarify X's reply.... give us a picture of the plumbing in the basement.

It may be easier to cap off the wall drain and reconnect in the basement.

Old 06-08-16, 12:56 PM
I will try to get you guys a picture tonight. I think I am going to go by the house. If not tonight it will be this weekend.

Thanks again this forum is great!

Old 06-08-16, 09:40 PM
I am going to lover the drain and resolve the issue. I opened the wall on the other side of the kitchen and will just lower the drain which should resolve this issue hopefully. I can not cap off the existing as it appears to be tied into the plumbing from the one of the bathrooms upstairs. Hopefully everything will be fine once I put int he lowered pipe. The only thing I am wondering is how many pieces of pipe I should since it will not be possible to just use one piece at that angle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67087[/ATTACH]

Attached Images