Would you trust this Uberhaus shower design?

Old 05-27-16, 05:12 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would you trust this Uberhaus shower design?

I bought an Uberhaus shower with rain head, handheld and jets. I really like the look and price $400 Canadian on sale for $300. I know they aren't high end - the sales person described it as a Lada vs a Mercedes when comparing it to the major brand ones. But I have a hard time believing that you should have to pay 4 times the price for a decent shower.

Out of the box it seems ok overall but for one design that I'm questioning. The main tube that connects to the mixing valve simply slides down onto a fitting with two O rings. Nothing but gravity and a bit of friction holds it there. I tried it and took it off to find that one O ring had ripped and the other was distorted. Glad it's not actually installed!

Would you trust such a design? If you were to try it would you put a bit of silicon on this fitting before sliding it on? A bit of backup would be nice. The only thing that helps my fears a bit are that it installs almost all outside the wall so I could replace some parts if needed and I could get at the insides through another bathroom wall - if needed. Least better that ripping out tile.

The other great news is that this model has been discontinued - Hence the sale - comforting.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  50.9 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-16, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
The o rings could be old and on the hard side. Should be no problem to replace them both and yes.... put a little bit of silicone grease on them before re-connection.

Old 05-27-16, 08:13 PM
F
Fresh greased up O rings can't be a bad thing. I'd still feel better if there were some threads and or some sort of "real" connection but it's a start.

Has anyone seen plumbing connections like this before?
Or just a perk of buying Chinese with a fancy German made up name.

Old 05-28-16, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Or just a perk of buying Chinese with a fancy German made up name.
Could be. I read several reviews of the product and they lacked the luster of say a Price Pfister, Delta, Moen, etc. Just sayin'

Old 05-28-16, 05:17 AM
F
I know that for a 1/4 of the price I can't expect luster but am I cheaping out now to just pay later?

Old 05-28-16, 06:18 AM
At the risk of being blunt, yes. I'll be honest, I have never heard of the brand. Broken it is worth whatever you can get as scrap metal.

Old 05-28-16, 06:40 AM
F
Your probably right but it burns me that you need to pay what is in my opinion an exorbitant amount of money to take a worry free shower.

Old 05-28-16, 06:47 AM
While I agree with you, a worry free shower consists of a black bag of water suspended on a tripod with the sun hitting it for heat. We have progressed way too far with niceties like body sprays, etc. that really just use more water.