overflowing air gap with Bosch DW

Old 06-05-16, 03:40 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
overflowing air gap with Bosch DW

Could it be that our Bosch dishwasher drains the waste water too fast for the air gap? I cleaned all the hoses and pipes downstream of the DW; I can easily blow down the air gap towards the garbage disposal -- no clogs there! I know that most of the DW waste passes the air gap and GD okay, but two-three cups of it still end up on the kitchen counter. I suspect that the drain hole at the bottom of the air gap, which is about 3/8" in diameter, not 7/8", like its tubing, is too small to let all the water out of the air gap in time. Has anyone had similar experience? Are there air gaps with wider drains? Thanks, h.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-16, 05:24 PM
drains the waste water too fast for the air gap
No dishwasher can pump water faster than the air gap can handle. The problem is the 7/8" hose from air gap to disposer, it has to be.
Here's what I always check:

- Make sure there's no dip in the hose
- Check that the disposer plug was knocked out completely
- No kinks in the hose. This hose might be hard for a first timer to install properly.
Some people try to bend the hose at a severe radius and it's not going to happen.

Old 06-09-16, 07:20 AM
H
Name:  IMG_20160609_070809.jpg
Views: 3844
Size:  36.4 KB

Thank you Brian! No kinks or sagging in the hose between GD and the air gap (the black hose seen in the photo goes to the right and up behind the GD); no disposer plug -- I can see inside the GD through the DW waste intake; the hose itself just cleaned. The kitchen drain downstream is clear too.

Here is a peek down the air gap from above: that drain opening at the bottom of the air gap is not the full 7/8" but only about 1/2" by 3/8".

Name:  IMG_20160609_094925.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  28.2 KB

Will try to drain the air gap into the sink as a temporary measure before I solve this. Thanks, h.

Last edited by harum; 06-09-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 10:25 AM
The air gap size is normal. The 7/8" hose is too long, causing the backup.
The hose needs to take a direct drop into the disposal, almost gravity fed.
To fix this you need to move the air gap to the opposite bowl from the disposer. This allows you to make the hose a straight shot into the disposer.

You can fill the existing air gap hole with a soap dispenser.

Old 06-09-16, 11:07 AM
H
Thanks again! Yes, the air gap is on the other side from the DW connector on the GD. I will try to shorten the loop on the 7/8" hose by wrapping it tightly around the GD with 90 deg or 45 deg elbows. There's no hole on the other side for the air gap.

Old 06-11-16, 07:18 AM
H
Name:  IMG_20160610_150444.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  42.7 KB

Well, I cut the horizontal loop off the hose, as on the first photo, and replaced it with a couple of 90 elbows, threaded bushings, hose clamps and a coupling. Not a drop exactly but no horizontal runs at least. It works now, no overflow. Thanks Handyone!

Old 06-11-16, 07:51 AM
Wow, that's quite the configuration...
Anything that works and doesn't leak is good. Good job.