1/4 turn shutoff valve for toilet

Old 06-08-16, 05:26 PM
1/4 turn shutoff valve for toilet

I want to piggyback a 1/4 turn straight shutoff valve to my existing multi turn shutoff valve at my toilet. I would move the tank's water supply hose from the outlet of the existing valve to the outlet of the piggyback valve. The inlet of the piggyback valve, a captured nut with female threads, would be screwed to the outlet of the existing valve. However all the valves I found at the box stores don't have a gasket in the captured nut, that in my opinion is needed to insure a water tight connection. My guess is it is relying on metal to metal distortion to create a water seal. One such valve is made by Keeney #K2072PLCF. I would expect the captured nut to have a seal much like the end of the water supply hose.
Does anyone have experience they can share with me. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-16, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rather than reinventing the wheel, why not just replace the original stop valve with a new quarter turn valve?

Old 06-09-16, 05:39 AM
The metal works fine, no washer needed. Just clean the old valve and install the new valve's captured nut snuggly. Do not over tighten or really torque it down.

I use these type often for branching off an angle stop and don't have any problems with leaks.

Old 06-09-16, 07:18 AM
Chandler:
Good suggestion but half of the present shutoff valve is in the wall and is soldered. Therefore I think my best approach is a work around..
Thanks,
Beelzebob