Lubricant for ancient Moen faucet

Old 06-16-16, 08:30 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lubricant for ancient Moen faucet

I have an old Moen single lever faucet which is side mounted to the back splash of an old Hotpoint dishwasher/sink combo circa 60's. No chance to find a replacement or even disassemble it. Every year when I return to the cottage the lever gets a little harder to move up and down. Is there any lubricant that I can pour in the top that will help?
Thanks very much. Frank.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-16, 04:02 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Did you call MOEN for a possible replacement?

Use a touch of vegetable oil to lubricate the lever. If the lub does not touch any gaskets or o rings use might try brake caliper grease.

Old 06-17-16, 11:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
Depot sells silicone grease for plumbing fixtures but I don't think applying it externally is going to be of much use.

Why no chance of finding a replacement ? It doesn't have to be the same exact faucet... does it ?

Old 06-21-16, 04:12 PM
F
Thank you all for your ideas. Sorry for late response I have been away. This Moen is mounted to a vertical surface which makes it extremely unusual. I'm not sure I can get at the cartridge without damaging something- the unit is so old- so I will try the vegetable oil idea. Not sure where the friction is though. If internal to the cartridge the lub applied exterior may not work. Again thanks for your time. Frank.

Old 06-21-16, 04:40 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
If possible, post a picture. Not trying to invade your privacy, but, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. As Norm mentioned, your best bet may be to contact Moen. Once you have the right cartridge, the grease that PJ mentioned will make assembly a lot easier, and will help slow the corrosion process on the new cartridge. As far as getting to the cartridge, all that you probably have to do is remove the handle, probably held in place with a common allen/hex head screw, and I'm guessing that you're going to find a clip that you pull out, after which you may want or need a cartridge puller, which you should be able to get at your local hardware store or big box.

Old 06-21-16, 08:51 PM
F
Thanks. I'll try to post a picture soon. Privacy not an issue!