Showerhead holder loosens when I swivel?

Old 07-06-16, 05:09 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Showerhead holder loosens when I swivel?

I just had a showerhead replaced (complete with shower arm and flange), the plumber did the arm and flange while I installed a new handheld moen at a later time.

Here's a picture

http://i.imgur.com/DUn8y7z.jpg

I purposely did not tighten the part of the shower holder where the area under the red is. If I did, then wanted to swivel the showerhead to the left, the part (area under blue) also begins to loosen, even though there is no leak. Is this normal?

As you can see the shower holder is sitting tilted all the way down because I don't have it tight (area in red), it seems like some unnecessary pressure is being put on it at the moment.

I did hand tighten the blue part of the shower holder onto the shower arm, like the instructions said. Should I have used a wrench or channel lock to tighten it even more snug?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-16, 05:57 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The blue part should be tight; there is no advantage or point to leaving it loose as all it does is attach the swivel ball to the water supply pipe. If it is loosening when you swivel the head, it is too loose.

The red part should be tight enough so you can position the showerhead with some effort, but it stays in whatever position you put it.

This isn't really designed to be swiveled frequently; that's what the hand shower is for. It's really designed to allow enough movement so you can get it aimed properly and then leave it be. If you keep moving it, it will loosen up and need to be retightened periodically.

Old 07-06-16, 06:15 AM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
The blue nut can be tightened snug using a wrench. The red nut should be tightened to maintain the ball joint position because even though it is part of a ball joint. the weight of the attached plumbing will always move the attached plumbing to the lowest point of the ball travel. especially when using the appendages. I would consider using a 45 degree M/F adapter on the end of the shower arm so the ball joint is in a vertical alignment. Good luck.

Old 07-06-16, 11:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbideTipped
The blue part should be tight; there is no advantage or point to leaving it loose as all it does is attach the swivel ball to the water supply pipe. If it is loosening when you swivel the head, it is too loose.

The red part should be tight enough so you can position the showerhead with some effort, but it stays in whatever position you put it.

This isn't really designed to be swiveled frequently; that's what the hand shower is for. It's really designed to allow enough movement so you can get it aimed properly and then leave it be. If you keep moving it, it will loosen up and need to be retightened periodically.

since i know the fitting going into the shower arm (in blue) shouldnt be loose, i hand tightened it pretty snug. Its just the weight of the showerhead + tightening the red area will allow it to loosen regardless when I swivel.

I actually did it with a wrench as well and get the same result. I guess it makes sense when you say it isnt designed to be swiveled frequently.