Removal of Odd & Stubborn tub spout

Name:  Tub Spout (2).jpg
Views: 354
Size:  19.2 KBName:  Tub Spout (4).jpg
Views: 287
Size:  21.0 KBName:  Tub Spout .jpg
Views: 200
Size:  25.3 KBAttachment 68239Attachment 68240Attachment 68241

For years this spout has been in my late Nana's bathroom. For years, the diverter was always jammed in shower shower position, leaving it unable to run just bath water. Although, as the shower is on water still continued to spray out of the spout and makes a horrible screeching sound as well. I do not know who installed this, why or when. But it needs to go. I've been trying for the past 3 hours to get the darn thing off. Looked at numerous how to's but nothing seems to work for this one. I do not know what the white plug that was screwed under the spout was for. Even with it out the diverter is still jammed. I can get the spout to spin completely around but it will not unscrew nor do I see any type of set screw. Used a flashlight to look side to side thru the opening a set screw may be but no sign of one.
ANY HELP from the pros????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-16, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This covers all the types I've ever come across: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

If it's a slip on, the setscrew is probably on the bottom near the wall, accessed through that little opening.

The white plug probably was to allow a hand shower to be added.

Old 07-09-16, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Figured it out!

Turns out there is a set screw. It was located on top of the spout, directly opposite of where the access hole was. I only found it because in my attempt to grab hold of the plastic "flange"? while turning the spout, the metal on the spout cracked. So I took my needle nose pliers and continued to peel the metal back, like a can of sardines, until it revealed the set screw. Once I removed the set screw the spout screwed right off.
So now I am off to purchase a new spout! I am still curious as to what that plug on the bottom of the spout was for. Name:  Tub Spout 6.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  46.9 KB

Old 07-09-16, 04:40 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Likely someone over tightened it and the threaded adapter slipped on the pipe and ended up on top.