Can hear water dripping inside toilet after installing shower control valve

Old 07-09-16, 05:04 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can hear water dripping inside toilet after installing shower control valve

About a week ago, I started hearing the water inside my upstairs toilet tank start to turn on maybe every half hour. I also started hearing a dripping sound inside the toilet. From looking inside the toilet tank, it seems that the water level is slowly decreasing, and once it decreases 1.5 inches or so, the water activates to fill the tank back up to the normal level.

Also, just before I started to hear the toilet leak, I had put a shower volume control valve between the shower head and arm in the basement. The water pressure in that shower had been too strong, and was taking away water from elsewhere in the house. Could installing the control valve have caused the upstairs toilet to start leaking? Or is the timing just a major coincidence? Another thing to note is that when I turn on the basement shower now, the water seems to struggle to come out for a second, before it comes out normally.

Anyway, how do I stop the toilet from leaking?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-16, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
No, it's unrelated. The ball valve flapper is leaking, letting water from the tank leak out. They are cheap and easy to replace, and come with a new chain to the handle.

Old 07-10-16, 12:58 PM
S
I just found a post from someone saying that if the water initially comes out of the shower in a burst before it stabilizes, then that indicates a problem with the water pressure in the house. They said it could be due to the lack of an expansion tank, which I don't have in my house. They said the water pressure could cause toilet valves to fail, and eventually the water heater to fail.

So I wonder if that's what I'm starting to see. I'll have to take out that shower volume control valve and see if this problem stops.

Old 07-10-16, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Your toilet valve is not the problem with the toilet.

Old 07-10-16, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
It is possible that you have slightly high water pressure. If you're on city water and have a pressure regulator valve... it could be defective. If you do have a PRV then you should have a pressure tank.

As the others mentioned.... even higher water pressure would not cause the problem your toilet is experiencing.

You could verify water pressure with an inexpensive gauge from a home improvement store. You can screw it directly on to an outside water spigot.
Eastman 3/4 in. Brass Water Pressure Test Gauge-45169 - The Home Depot

Old 07-11-16, 09:14 AM
S
I've been looking at the reviews for my toilet (an American Standard Champion-4 two-piece toilet), and it seems some other people have had a problem with this toilet developing a leak after a year or two. Apparently the flush valve seal develops blisters which results in a leak. People say even the replacement seals develop blisters quickly, so I'm wondering if there's another brand of seal that will work to fix the problem.