Cannot get old kitchen faucet out (photo attached)

Old 07-14-16, 02:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot get old kitchen faucet out (photo attached)

Hi Experts,

I have an old kitchen faucet that I got with the house and am midst of changing it. There is no info about the make and model, but there is Dazzle etched on it, so I am assuming its by American Standard.

There is a strange little semi-circular plate below the regular plate at the bottom. I guess it's purpose it to hold the faucet in position. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to find how to take it off.
Name:  IMG_2289.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  38.4 KB

There doesn't seem to be a way for the circular nut (if I can call it that) at the bottom to be removed.
At the top, the metal pipe like thing goes directly in the faucet.

Name:  IMG_2292.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.0 KB

None of the online video tutorials seem to have a similar plate.
Seems like someone here had a similar issue a decade back, but unfortunately no answers.

Hopefully from looking at the photos, some experts may be able to throw in some hints.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-16, 02:39 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Haven't come across this, someone here probably has....but have you tried unscrewing the nut. I assume the fitting with the o-ring unscrews and then you should be able to unscrew that nut???

Old 07-14-16, 02:43 PM
D
Thanks CT.
I assume you mean the nut in the middle? That was the one holding the faucet tight, I loosened it up so that the O-ring came loose, but I can't get it past the thing (with the black rubber washer like thing) at the bottom. I have no clue what is it called :P.

Old 07-14-16, 02:47 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, since you are replacing it anyway, just hacksaw through the threaded shaft and be done with it. Dremel with cutting wheel would work too.

Old 07-14-16, 02:50 PM
Please post a picture of the entire faucet from above. The bottom doesn't look familiar to me but the top might.

Last edited by Handyone; 07-14-16 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Carbide is genious :)
Old 07-14-16, 03:04 PM
D
CT, I am keeping it as the last option . There is a way it went in, hoping I can get it out the same way.
Also, I don't have either. Will have to get one today evening if nothing else works.

Handyone, here are the top pictures.
Name:  thumb_IMG_2293_1024.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  30.0 KB
And the broken handle (reason for the change ).
Name:  thumb_IMG_2294_1024.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 07-14-16, 04:00 PM
Most likely Delta. It looks like the round "nut" needs to come off, then the nut above it.
As CT said why bother, it will be difficult at best.

Name:  IMG_2292.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  38.7 KB

I would cut from above at the yellow line. Special cutting tools make the job quicker, but all you need is a hand held hack saw blade (no frame) and you will be done sooner than you think. The brass threaded rod is soft and the copper tubes can just be bent until they break.

Old 07-14-16, 04:24 PM
D
Thank Brian for taking time to explain in detail.
Yes, I think I should just go ahead and finish the job by sawing off the threaded pipe. I think I only need to cut that out which will drop the semi-circular plate out and then I can pull the copper pipes up.
They are free at the other end.

Thanks again for the quick replies, should get this done before DW gives me a hard time for keep the Kitchen a restricted area overnight .