Shower leaking through ceiling: DIY repair?

Old 07-20-16, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both were the tile meets the tub and in the corners there should be grout colored caulk and not actual grout. Those areas are prone for grout to crack while caulk is somewhat flexible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-16, 09:36 AM
Ill check this out tonight, looking around the grout that is .. ugh all black

Old 07-20-16, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Since you are getting the camera..... you can probably just send it in by the valve before you open the bedroom wall. We can see the back of the bedroom wall and it's dry so maybe the water is running down the back of the valve wall.

Old 07-21-16, 04:52 AM
thank you everyone for helping me along on this, still not a drop from 4 people showering over the past 2 days.

Just to verify the valve is where I turn the water on right?

Old 07-21-16, 05:36 AM
thank you everyone for helping me along on this, still not a drop from 4 people showering over the past 2 days.

That's with the plastic sheet protecting the wall?

Old 07-21-16, 07:40 AM
sorry for the confusion, no I only did the plastic thing for both my daughters bath and my shower, combined the shower was on for over 45 minutes with no dripping at all. Since then everyone else in the house has taken their normal showers and I have encouraged them to take longer than normal showers, so far nothing.

Edit to add, this is how this is making me feel

Old 07-21-16, 10:18 AM
Nothing else has changed, been moved, tightened, loosened or adjusted?

Old 07-21-16, 03:02 PM
Only difference is that I opened up the ceiling I haven't done any more adjusting or tightening or anything besides the plastic which is no longer up

Old 07-21-16, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the drywall contact any of the plumbing possibly putting it in a bind ??

Old 07-23-16, 02:46 PM
I am 75-85% sure ive solved it!!! If this is the case pjmaxx was on the roght path with the plastic. In the pictures below you see the caulking around the tub and down to the floor. I made that hole with my screwdriver the wood just crumbled and i saw a light from below (the light coming in from the hole in the ceiling!!!)

So my theory os that the water is bouncing off our bodies or somehpw getting to the area the tub and tile meet and then it just flows towards the side there and with nothing to stop or divert ot back it rolls down to the floor and soals the wood and eventually leaks.

So im assuming there is some sort of diverter I can caulk onto this im sure ive seen them in stores before. My hypothesis also would explain the other brown line towards the back of the tub.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any thoughta or suggestions? Im jumping for joy thinking i might have solved it!!

Old 07-23-16, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
At this point your are just containing the water from entering the wall.
Definitely a bathroom remodel in your future. The walls are sheetrock.
From what I can see in the few pics..... there isn't much left of it.

Name:  oYUR8Xy.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 07-23-16, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
9 times out of 10 when you have tile and trim that looks like your bottom picture in post #10, it's a careless person that isn't closing the shower curtain properly and they are splashing a lot of water out. The plastic having stopped the leak sure has me leaning in that direction. Course, the tile being laid on sheet rock could be to blame as well. Tile and grout aren't 100% waterproof.

Old 07-23-16, 04:10 PM
Pjmaxx, yes i actually have dreamed of a remodel when i have the money. But if i get something to dovert the watwr back and thos does in fact stop it at least ill know it isnt getting worse, little peace of mind

Xsleepr, i dont know if the issue is due to incorect shower curtain usage i think its water bouncing off us in the shower rhen coming down to the tub tile intersection then dripping down

Old 07-23-16, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put a level on the tub over the spout and see if the tub is level or if it is low on the skirt side. That would cause any splash to make its way out of the tub. You can by little dams that you can install to prevent the water from getting outside the tub area.

Keeney Manufacturing Company 9 in. x 12 in. Plastic Tub Guard in Clear (2-Pack)-5TT-UC - The Home Depot

Old 07-23-16, 04:26 PM
Thanks CZ this is exactly what I was thinking of

Old 07-23-16, 08:32 PM
Ordered the splash guards, a hook to hold the shower curtain against the wall better and a new shower curtain. After a week or so ill close the ceiling hole. Ill put a few fans up yhere and point them towards that area to give it some air to dry and then patch it all up. Then start seriously pricing some bathroom remodels

Old 07-25-16, 04:07 AM
It appears my enthusiasm has been misguided. While awaiting the arrival of the splash guards I put a towel in through the hole as removing the rotted wood has made the leak worse.

After a few showers the part of the towel inside the hole is soaked and the part of the towel that is on the outsode is damp but thats just beciase of the humid environment in the bathroom not wet enough fore to believe this is an issue to be fixed by putting splash guards up.

They should arrive today anyway

Old 07-25-16, 07:31 AM
Wetter inside the hole than outside the hole?

Old 07-25-16, 02:00 PM
Lol sorry bad wording... so the towel was almost soakes in the section that was submerged in the hole and the section of the towel outside the hole was fairly dry.. this leads me to beleive the leak is behind the wall

Old 07-25-16, 05:35 PM
You're getting close...hang in there.
Have you received the camera yet?

Old 07-26-16, 05:10 AM
Camera came in on Sat. It was cool to use and helpful pointing out areas that were not wet but since i didn't have much control over it (wire was to flexible) it was hard to really pinpoint anything.

However I have nailed down the issue and fixed it! I will be uploading photos in a day or so.

I came home last night, frustrated because I was convinced the theory I had with the water coming out of the tub was wrong. I really took a look at the "plate" around the shower on/off knob. I even decided to just point a water stream directly at the plate and next thing I know my wife is screaming at me about the ceiling leaking all over well there were now 3 areas with leaks. This was my aha moment!

Took the "plate" off and did a ring of plumber putty all around it and als did some plumber putty in the crevices where the grout is at and reattached it to the wall. Then i looks at the faucet or spout area a huge chunk of the grout was missing on the underside. I patched that all up with plumbers putty as well so put it all back together and then went back to a direct stream of water,after 10 minutes of this i can honestly say there was no moisture anywhere nothing from the hole, nothing in the new leaking spots. I think i can say i found and foxed the primary cause.

I have a fan on aladder directing airflow to the ceiling hole and will do that for a day or so to dry ot out. Perhaps in a week or so whem its all been able to dry I will patch the hole back up. And we will likely need to paint the whole ceiling to make it all match.

Then I think I can forget about the issue until I have the funds to do a remodel (hopefully 1-2 years ).

Does plumbers putty shrink in the way caulk does? Curious if this can be my long term solution until the remodel. My wife says it looks fine to her, and youd have to be inspecting it closely and know what your looking for to see my patches.

When it comes time to remodel I am sure im gonna need to get a contractor in there.

Pics to come!

Old 07-26-16, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you found the problem! Generally putty can dry out while caulking should remain flexible. I would think that caulk would have made a better longer lasting seal but I'm just a painter, the plumbers should be along later with better info.

Old 07-26-16, 05:58 AM
Maybe a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the handle plate and spout where they abut the tile?

Old 07-26-16, 06:01 AM
Moot point but the Harbor Freight inspection camera ($59.99 sale price) comes with a cable that is stiff enough to hold any position.

Old 07-26-16, 09:28 AM
I used putty just because I had it on hand i dont imagine it will be hard to remove it and caulk it instead (disclosure I have never done that before)

Thanks for the input Jimmie, 60 seemed a bit steep for something i may not use that often i spent $16 on this one of course you get what you pay for as we see. One work around for the stiffness could be to tape it to like a laundromat hangar thats been straightened out.

Looking forward to any suggestions on the caulk vs. Putty debate

Images!!
http://imgur.com/a/QWHRc

1st and 2nd pic are of the water spout you can see a pretty sizable peice of grout missing on both sides. Ive filled it in with putty for now.

3rd pic shows the plate off and i puttys the indented area of the grout in numerous areas then did a bead of putty aroudthe insode rim of the plate. This seems to have foxed the issue so far

Old 07-26-16, 12:42 PM
Did the wall plate that goes around the handle have any kind of gasket that would seal the edge of the plate to the wall?
Get a small tube of silicone caulk.....it will be easier to use than a caulking gun. Applying caulk is very easy....kind of like squeezing out a thin line of toothpaste....you can smooth it with your finger or a plastic spoon....maybe a rubber glove to keep your finger clean.
I couldn't see the new pictures.
I'm not a plumber but I have never seen or heard of plumbers putty being used this way but maybe you're on to something.
Plumber's putty is generally used to seal drain flanges in sinks......but some plumbers are switching over to caulking material.
I agree with not wanting to spend $ for a tool that you may never use again....I've have a few.

Old 07-26-16, 04:40 PM
Yes the gasket was a flexible stryofoam almost pool noodle like. Odds are this has been happening for a long time

Old 07-26-16, 05:20 PM
Is it in bad shape? How about replacing it?

Old 07-26-16, 05:49 PM
Spoke to soon I think, water is still coming down from the main area it always did.

I will do the caulking thing soon but apparently thars not the issue. About to gove my daughter a bath so we will see what issues we find there. Perhaps some hole im completely missing.

I think ill go ahead and drill a small hole in the wall behind there tomorrow to see if i have any more luck.

Old 07-27-16, 06:57 AM
So now that I have calmed down a little bit, I at least know now that the drain has nothing to do with it, the leak I saw last night its like the water was running down the wall from above the drain. I unfortunately don't think this can be fixed without doing a small hole in the other bedroom. Thankfully the size of the camera is small enough it wont be hard to clean it up.

a theory I am having now is maybey the putty has cured and shrunk back causing it to lose the seal.

I would love to replace the knob and plate there but when I tried removing the the on/off arm the nut keeping it on was all rusted. some genius put the knob on the bottom so when you are taking a shower the water is going in the hole for this constantly.

Old 07-27-16, 07:49 AM
Big hole or small hole in the room behind the shower, if you do a neat job you can replace the piece you removed. If you can, remove a rectangular panel with straight lines. If you do it this way you may be able to put the removed piece back and tape the joints. You may need to put in some small pieces of wood to support the cut edges. Use a straight edge to make your cuts.

Old 07-27-16, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you intend to cut out a small hole and reuse the piece for the patch it helps to insert your jab saw at an angle to make a beveled cut ..... but I'd be more concerned with a large enough opening so you have room to make repairs if that's where they are needed.

Old 07-27-16, 07:09 PM
My frustration will be short lived here. The pics you see are the shower knob area frm the bedroom wall. You can also see the leaking.

Im assuming my putty may have shrunk as it dried. And pulled away. Ill get caulk tomorrow and reseal it. Ill wait a few days before I celebrate too. Btw the holes i made were just big enough to fit the camera into. Now tge problem will be getting the paint in that room to match.

On to the othere issue if i can replace that plate and handle that would be cool but i cant get the handle off because the bolt holding it on is rusted and wont catch
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 07-28-16, 04:18 AM
Can't make out the picture. Can't see the rusted bolt...maybe you could try some rust cutter liquid or may be vise grips to grab onto it.
Matching the bedroom paint is the least of your problems.....you can always repaint the whole room.....one thing at a time.

Old 07-28-16, 04:21 AM
Oh sorry there isnt a picture of the rusted bolt. Those 3 pictures are just the view of the leak from the inside. Seeing that made me realize I had the right area down but needed to do a better patching job.

Old 07-28-16, 06:36 AM
Is it me? I can't make out what's in the pictures.

Old 07-28-16, 09:41 AM
I am not sure what images your looking at but I will admit the pictures were not clear because they were taken with the endoscope attachment. You should just be able to make out that there is a water drip present.

Old 07-29-16, 07:09 PM
I have caulked the inside of the plate that originally had plumbers putty around it. Will report back in a few days.

Old 07-30-16, 07:14 AM
Well caulk is sealed and still had drips when i showered this morning.

Currently seems to only be doing this when I shower so my daughters baths and everyone else dont seem to be an issue. I dont know where to go from here. Wondering what a fair price would be to call a plumber

Old 07-30-16, 10:09 AM
Based on the fact that it doesn't leak during baths or showers, with the plastic on the wall, it doesn't appear to be a plumbing leak per se. It probably won't leak if you turn on the shower but don't climb into the tub. My guess is that it is the water bouncing off your body and wetting the wall. I would not call a plumber for this. Depending upon how bad things are behind the tile you would need a tile person, remodeling contractor, or really good handyman type. Any friends or neighbors who could take a look? We're just looking at the pictures....and I can't really see them. A lot of the grout seems to be bad....this should tell you something.
Put the plastic up for now while you shower until you get it resolved...no sense getting more water damage. Or take baths instead of showers.