Shower leaking through ceiling: DIY repair?

Old 07-30-16, 10:15 AM
Get a few estimates. Check with a kitchen and bath remodeler and see if they will do a small fixit job. This could be tricky....they may say 'yes' to get their foot in the door and then try to sell you a whole new bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-16, 10:23 AM
I am at a loss here, so the other night my shower it still leaked even after putting up the plastic. I currently looking for leak detectors in the area.

Wish I could afford it My "dream" was to rip that bathtub tpilet sink and all of that out and take the washer/dryer and rerout those lines to the closet and put them in there and turn the 1 bathroom into 2.

Old 07-30-16, 10:41 AM
Does the shower leak with no plastic and you not in it?

Old 07-30-16, 02:34 PM
Paid to get a plumber out here. Turns out the tiling on the shower is letting all the water in. Like pjmaxs platic ide suggested.

Gonna be an expensive fix way outside the scope of my skills

Old 07-30-16, 06:38 PM
I hope the plumber's charge was reasonable...they are usually expensive. Good luck with the fix.

Old 07-31-16, 03:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Regrouting isn't all that difficult or you could just caulk any voids in the grout. Another option would be to install a plastic tub surround.

Old 07-31-16, 07:03 AM
I was thinking of the plastic tub surround "for now" he quoted me to completely rip out the tub and install a new one $3104. This estimate does not include anything for the wall.

Is it difficult to install a plastic tub surroundover the existing tike. Such measures will be entirely temporary as id like to take all the tile out so I can redo it properly which I assume ill need to replace the entire wall.

I was also quoted about $550 to have air movers and dehumidifiers put in yesterday by another company referred by the plumbing company. The quote also included antibacterial applications to stop the spread of mold.

I asked for some time to think about that

His visit was $128 (visual inspection + i joined the plumbers club for 7/month) that will include them flushing our water heater 2 times a ywar and discounted service. Not sure yet if i got screwed or not.

So as of now im out 120ish + the time ive invested in this lol. We are going to get a shower curtain rod that we will put a shower curtain liner against the wall for the immediate time frame.

Old 07-31-16, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been decades since I installed one but basically you just set the 3 tub surround pieces in place with adhesive caulk behind it to hold it in place. I don't remember if where they join together interlock or have to be caulked. I'm sure you can find their instructions online.

Old 07-31-16, 10:22 AM
Do you really need a new tub or just the tile wall fixed? Put up the plastic for now and get some free estimates to fix the problem. Let things start to dry on their own and see if there is any mold growth that you need help with. You can buy your own fan for not a lot of $. Of course we can't do a visual and get a sense of how bad the problem is but from what you are saying the 2 companies that have come in have tried to sell you things you may not really need. I get leery of service contracts. How much of a plumbing discount does the policy provide for? Take your time and get some FREE estimates. In all probability anybody other than a plumber would have come in and given you a free look-see and estimate. In my experience, plumbers charge just to walk in the door.
In all due respect to plumbers, I am aware of the costs associated with their education, training, and business operation.

Old 07-31-16, 02:31 PM
Im really questioning if the tub needs to be replaced. I think instead kust the tiling on the wall. Ive been looking at the plastic surrounds and thinking some of these actually look pretty nice. I am wondering if I couldnt just put the panels dorectly on the tile walls we have installed and then one day of we sp choose i can retile the top for a nice border look..

Seems i may be able to purchase and install this all myself. Also it seems as though the leaking primary affected are is down there by the door what sort of fan should I get in there to get some air moving around to get to the back of the wall there.

Or am i just being lazy and id be smart to take all the tile down and replace the wall since that was the sourcenof our leak?

I will be calling the plumber people tomorrow to ask what I can do to get out of the "club". I really think i should of just been cjarged the 30 "dispatch fee". I will askabout it bit i wont foght them to hard on that.

Old 07-31-16, 05:48 PM
Did the plumber say that the tub needed to be replaced? Repairing the grout may solve the problem but you need to determine the condition of the wall that the tile is attached to. Open the damaged area of the ceiling and let it dry out. It would help if you could open the wall behind the shower to help with drying and assessing the condition of the tile substrate. If you call any contractors let them know you want repair work done not a whole new bathroom, a lot of them will try and sell you more than you really need. Have you got any friends who are handy and could offer an opinion?

Old 07-31-16, 06:12 PM
I have added an access panel for the bathroom and wall, what type of fan shpuld i get to get a jice direct flow of air to it all.

I rather not opet up the tile for a peek unless im just taking the whole thing down and putting up something else. If I can help it.

The morebim looking at these surrounds im more intrigued

Old 07-31-16, 06:41 PM
Get an inexpensive fan from Walmart. You want to look at the wall that the tile is attached to in order to check it's condition.... to see if the water has damaged it. There are different types of wall board that the tile can be attached to.

Old 08-01-16, 05:54 AM
So it wouldn't be wise to just attach the plastic tub surround to the existing tile? Nuts!!

OK I guess now I need to figure out how to remove tile. any idea what kind of timeframe we are talking is this like a multi day job? I think we will get a shower rod and curtain and install on the other side just to stop any more water getting through.

so pretty much any fan will work, I have a few fans already, I guess I need to remove all the tile and point the fans at the wall that was leaking and then I guess point one towards the ceiling hole I have? The other guy that was there quoted me to use a dehumidifier as well as "air movers and Antibacterial. Should the fan be good enough or should I look at renting a dehumidifier?

Old 08-01-16, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think installing the tub surround over the tile would be ok. You wouldn't be the first to do it that way.

The fans might be enough although living in fla it doesn't hurt to have/run a dehumidifier.

Old 08-01-16, 10:59 AM
If your house has air conditioning then turn it on.....it will dehumidify the air. Separate fans will help move the air. If the a/c works well then a household dehumidifier shouldn't be needed. Keep the ceiling and wall open to allow the air to circulate. Keep the shower water off the wall where it is leaking so it can dry out. Once everything is dry assess the damage to see what can be kept and fixed and what should be replaced.
Once the tile substrate is dry and if it is in good shape then re-grouting should do the trick and you won't need the surround.

Old 08-01-16, 11:24 AM
Ill need to go find out what substrate is lol. Ill start aiming our fans at these holes in the wall and ceiling.

So my wife was sharing with her mother our issues, and her parents just had a guy open up a wall in their house that has always annoyed them. They are very pleased with his work, and he came to them via recommendation from someone who was very pleased with his work doing laminate flooring. He seems very reasonably priced. My wife will be talking to him later and I asked her to verify if he has any insurance or anything like that just my luck he probably is not licensed on any of this stuff. and we really just have recommendations of past people. She will be talking to him since his primary language is Spanish.

Also got word back from the plumber they will be crediting me about 70 back and possibly more she is looking into that. if I agree to stay in their "club" membership which is about $99/year. so Ill see I mean I guess it cant hurt and im better off then having not tried at all.

Old 08-01-16, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
substrate is a term used to describe the surface being worked on whether it be plaster, drywall, wood, cement board or whatever

Running the HVAC does do a decent job of keeping the humidity down although fla has more than it's share of high humidity

Old 08-01-16, 02:00 PM
Don't know what your state laws are concerning contractor licensing. Some trade work e.g. electrical, plumbing require licensing. Other handyman type stuff will not. Would be good if he has liability insurance in case he does some damage or gets hurt in your home.