Tub faucet handle won't come off

Old 07-23-16, 08:59 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub faucet handle won't come off

Guys, I have a leaking handle I'd like to replace. I can't find a set screw in the hole on this handle assmembly. I have another handle like this in my other bathroom and the set screw is easily identified. I thought it would pul off, but it's on tight and will not remove. The brass handle I remove as well, but can't find anything inside and doesn't make removal any easier. Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-16, 10:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
It looks like you're in for a tough time. I'd try looking up in the hole with a flashlight and try again to make sure there is no set screw. If there is one it needs to be loosened or removed. Then if the handle won't come loose I'd turn it so the access hole is up and squirt some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in the hole and let it soak. Then try removing the handle again. If it still doesn't come off prepare yourself for getting a new handle. You may have to keep upping the level of force to remove the handle which may damage it.

Old 07-23-16, 10:40 AM
W
I actually already have a new handle assembly, but when I turn the handle it obviously turns on the water. My only main is the box the water agency shuts off and I'm trying to avoid breaking any of the brass water piping and opening up that can of worms. I guess I'll try to shoot some kind of penetrating oil in there, but I already got a flashlight in there and can't find any kind of keeper stopping the handle from being removed. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-23-16, 01:59 PM
The new handle should give you a clue of how to get the old one off. It should just slide on and use a spline and set screw.

Try both metric and standard hex keys to find a good fit.

Old 07-23-16, 06:03 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
The hole for the set screw is in plan sight.
I agree it could be metric or english screw, if there was no screw in that hole the handle would not stay on.

Old 07-24-16, 03:43 PM
W
So I got the handle off with some elbow grease and penetrating oil. Went to remove the cartridge and the back half is still stuck. Trying to pull this thing out. Any ideas?

Attached Images