How to Install Fancy Sink Drain

Old 07-28-16, 08:34 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to Install Fancy Sink Drain

I just bought an integrated sink/countertop for my bathroom vanity, and it came with this polished chrome drain hardware but no instructions how to install. This is for a wall mount vanity, so the drain will be exposed underneath. Can anyone suggest a YouTube video or url showing a diagram of how these pieces are assembled between the sink and the ABS rough-in? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-16, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You have not told us the brand or model number of what you purchased so it's difficult/impossible to find specific instructions for you. Where are you located? Are you in the US? Do you have a picture you can post that shows all of your pieces, particularly the one on the left that is partially cut off. Is the bottom of that piece solid or does it have an opening for a pipe to come out the bottom?

Old 07-28-16, 01:07 PM
W
Yes, the part on the left has a solid bottom (screw off cap for cleaning I suppose). This is the bottle trap which is used instead of the more common p trap. There's a tail piece (not shown in picture) which comes down from the sink drain to the trap. I saw a picture somewhere else online of the main (long) tube going into the wall, I suppose somehow attaching to the ABS drain. This (chrome) tube is 1-1/4" and the ABS is 1-1/2", so I suppose I'll need an adapter. My main question is where all these O-rings and washers go, and how it fits together. Right now (before finishing the drywall) I want to make sure the ABS rough in placement is ok, so I want to have a clear picture of how everything fits.

I bought the vanity from HomeDepot.com, it is from the Wyndham Centra collection.:
Wyndham Collection Centra 42 in. Vanity in White with Solid-Surface Vanity Top in White and Undermount Sink-WCVW00942SWHWSUNSMXX - The Home Depot

Thanks.

Old 07-28-16, 01:26 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Here is the contact info for the manufacturer. you may get some printed instructions by going through them.

call at 1-888-522-8476, Monday through Friday from 9am-6pm PST.

Corporate Office:
Wyndham Collection®
1175 Aviation Place
San Fernando, CA 91340

Old 07-28-16, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does your sink have a pop-up assembly? If so, I would abandon all these parts.
Why do you need to go 90° towards the wall from the sink drain?
All you need is a standard trap set up. We can help with that.

I would not install this drain just to save room inside the cabinet, it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth and nothing you normally see.

Old 07-28-16, 04:29 PM
W
pjaffe -- I did call the Wyndham no. (also had sent an email yesterday), but they have no instructions. They told me I have to hire a licensed plumber to install it.

Old 07-28-16, 05:26 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
You have a bottle trap, and if you search for bottle trap installation instructions you will find quite a few. This one seems pretty close to the parts you have:

http://www.overstock.com/downloads/p...structions.pdf

Here's another example:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6640f516d5.pdf

You will need to install an ABS trap adapter on your ABS stub out. Since the whole area will be exposed, you will want to install the trap adaptor so the nut just barely extends out of the drywall so the decorative escutcheon will cover it. The trap adapter accepts the long tube from the bottle trap. You may have to cut the long tube depending on how far away the center of the sink is from the wall.

Last edited by CarbideTipped; 07-28-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 05:35 PM
W
CarbideTipped--Very helpful, thanks!!
I finally did find a piece of paper labeled 'instructions', but it had a very rudimentary drawing with absolutely no detail. These URLs help a lot,
thanks again.

Old 07-28-16, 08:21 PM
W
Just to button up this thread, I did hear from Wyndham. After calling and being told they have no instructions, I sent them an email and someone else replied with the instructions by return email. It had the details I was looking for.

Just another case of putting someone in charge of answering the phone who doesn't know anything. No idea why companies do that.

In any case, this is a great web site! Thanks to all respondents!

Old 07-28-16, 09:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You also need to check with the AHJ before installing that trap. It may not be code compliant in some areas.
UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) generally prohibits drum traps.
1004.0 Traps – Prohibited.
No form of trap which depends for its seal upon the action of
movable parts shall be used. No trap which has concealed
interior partitions, except those of plastic, glass-or similar corrosion-
resisting material, shall be used. "S" traps, bell traps,
and crown-vented traps shall be prohibited. No fixture shall
be double trapped. Drum and bottle traps may be installed
only when permitted by the Authority Having Jurisdiction for
special conditions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: