Laundry sink drain questions

Old 08-02-16, 11:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laundry sink drain questions

I need to some repair work on our laundry sink drain setup, and am trying to figure out my options. Current setup is a double sink (washer drains in the left sink; right side is rarely used); the drains connect to a T underneath the sinks, and then the T feeds into a sump pump that sits inside a glorified bucket. The sump pump pumps the water out the top, into a flexible pipe that connects to copper pipe (including a failed check valve) that runs across the wall, then up the wall, then into the main drain line.

Current issues:
1) left sink drain is leaking. Not sure yet if it's leaking in the drain-to-sink connection area or the drain-pipe-to-sink-drain connection.
2) hot water side of the sink faucet leaks.
3) Failed check valve
4) Sewer type odors in that area from time to time (also in main floor bathroom and upstairs bathroom at times)

The 1st issue is the primary one that needs to be fixed ASAP. The others should ideally be fixed as well, so I'm considering re-doing the whole setup. I'm looking at getting this pump and putting it under the sinks, replacing the current flexible and copper combination with new PVC, and connecting the new PVC to the main drain line. Also installing a new check valve somewhere in the new line. What I'm not clear on is the venting requirement for the pump. I've posted some pictures of the current setup below. I'm not sure, but I think the main vent is probably the largest vertical pipe that connects to the black T. If so, I have no idea how to tie into that given the limited section that is exposed before disappearing into the floor above. Any suggestions for the vent, or any other part of this, would be most appreciated.

Name:  20150425_224543.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  20150425_224605.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  20150425_224650.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  27.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-16, 06:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got up on the roof last night and there are two vent stacks up there. The vertical pipe that feeds into the black T of the main drain line definitely seems to be one of the two vent stacks based on comparing its relative location to the gas boiler chimney in the basement and up on the roof. That one is also blocked. I need to get back up there tonight with something to try to pull out whatever is blocking out - something's stuck about 8-12 inches down from the top of the pipe.
The other vent stack is farther up toward the roof line, meaning farther back in the crawl space down below. Do I have to tie into one of the main vent stacks for the new pump? Is there some way I can properly vent it on its own?