Hole in toilet base?

Old 08-03-16, 08:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hole in toilet base?

Fixing mother-in-law's Mansfield Alto 130-160 toilet, that has a slow leak from reservoir to bowl. Took the tank off, as the bowl-to- tank gasket seems to be disintegrating (any time I touched it, the water would look like it had just been injected with black ink rubbing off the gasket). Anyhow, one odd thing was finding this small hole in the base, which had some white caulk covering it (which also peeled right off, was not adhered to the porcelain):

Name:  20160803_192048.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  10.6 KB

I don't think this has anything to do with the slow leak, but I am wondering what it is - a defect from original manufacturing? a hole someone drilled for some reason and then plugged later? an actual functional feature?

In any case, I assume I should (re-) plug it before reassembling everything... I'm not sure where the water that would go into goes (probably somewhere it shouldn't, where it becomes stagnant and maybe rots some part of the floor).

Any thoughts/info welcome.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-03-16 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Insert full size image.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-16, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
It's a vent hole used in manufacturing. The hole allows the air in the trap to escape so the glazing can get into the trap. Cheap toilets that do not have a glazed trap do not have that hole. Toilets with a glazed trap may have the hole. If the hole was plugged I'd plug it back to it's original condition.