Kitchen sink clogged; snake not fixing problem

Old 08-13-16, 02:51 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink clogged; snake not fixing problem

I have a double kitchen sink that suddenly became clogged last night to the point that no water would go down. I removed the trap under the sink, drained it and found no problems.

So, today I've been able to run a snake nearly 4 feet down the pipe that goes down under the house. i've been able to pull out a tiny bit of hair but that's it. The water level in the pipe only drops down a few inches over a half hour, so maybe there has been a breakthrough of sorts.

Given the amount of snake length that I've been able to get down the pipe (house sits about 20 inches off the ground), is my difficulty in pushing it farther likely to be because of a bend in the pipe?

My problem is that I can't really get under the house since it's nearly 100 years old and has settled considerably. Therefore, I'm worried that any plumber visit would instantly be more expensive because of the difficulty of access. Furthermore, I really don't have any money for a plumber.

We have a downstairs bathroom and 2 upstairs bathrooms and we haven't had any other drain issues. I should note that there has been an unpleasant odor coming out of all drains when water first goes down them as of about 3 weeks ago. I assumed this was a problem with the roof vent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have virtually no plumbing experience and as the head of a single-income, family of 3, we have no money for a plumber. If I can't fix it, I will probably just invest in a bucket to place under the sink. It's that bad. Help, please!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-16, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,043 Votes on 967 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The water level in the pipe only drops down a few inches over a half hour, so maybe there has been a breakthrough of sorts.
Nope.... it's still clogged.

Usually in a kitchen sink it's where it enters the wall and goes down.
Have you checked that area ?

It's hard for us to help you as we have no idea what your plumbing looks like or how it's run.
Any pictures you can provide will help us to help you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-13-16, 04:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. This is about it. The drain goes straight down under the cabinet, presumably through the floor. The house is 99 years old and probably with original plumbing once you get under the house, which is extremely hard to do.

I can consistently auger down about 5 1/2 feet and then it starts to knot up, so I don't know if I'm hitting the wall of the pipe (it's about 3 inches wide) or up against debris.

Is it possible that part of the drainpipe has collapsed so I'm going up against metal?

I do know that the main drainpipe is unaffected since all other drains in the house are working fine.Name:  0813161856-00.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  24.8 KB