Moving and shower surround for cast iron tub

Old 08-16-16, 02:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving and shower surround for cast iron tub

I have an older tub in an even older bath room that we are renovating. All drywall/plaster torn out to the studs. The tub is an alcove style ( not claw foot or free standing) and is now sitting against the wet wall and exterior wall. No third "rear" wall yet.
I can see under the tub, and there is painted wall and trim hidden along the exterior wall, so i know this tub is not orignal... possibly installed in 40s/50s judging from dated newspaper in the walls. (House built 1919).

I'd like to move the tub back about 1.5" from the wet wall... the wall is bumped out behind toilet to allow room for the vent stack... I'd like to make it flat, so would need to move the tub 1.5". Plumbing connections are no problem from below.

My question is how this tub is mounted? I see no connection to studs or floor.. In fact, the long rear flange (along exterior wall) has a 1/4" gap from the studs. I see a small cast iron finger on bottom of tub, but this is not resting on the floor... belly of tub does not rest on the floor... The front flange is caulked to the floor, but that's about all i see.

The tub feels solid when i give a good tug. I know it's heavy, but c'mon! I'm a big strong guy! I find it hard to believe is only held up right and in place by a caulked front edge. It doesn't wobble or anything if i stand on/in it.

If i do move it... what is the proper way to install a tub like this? Just rest it against the studs and floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-16, 02:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Is every part of the rear side 1/4" away from the studs? I've seen them supported by the front skirt (the part caulked to the floor) and a few points on the back side touching studs.

Old 08-16-16, 07:28 PM
M
Correct, no studs touching the rear edge. I'm guessing it was laid against the old wall board, which has been removed. It's a mystery to me how it is still standing on its own. I don't see any fasteners or anything... drain connection is pvc below floor (no support there).

You're familiar with this style tub? So, if i move it back, should it just rest against the studs and be caulked to the floor? I plan to install a plastic 3 piece tub surround which will mount directly to the studs.

Old 08-16-16, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,043 Votes on 967 Posts
Not the pro here but I'm not a big fan of installing the tub surrounds directly to studs.
It makes for an inadequate job if the panels are thin. When you push in the panels they buckle.

Old 08-17-16, 04:44 AM
M
Good point. But most walls i see at the stores say mount direct to studs. Other option would be a glue to drywall wall ststem?

Old 08-17-16, 06:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Higher quality surrounds have more contour and the back side has ribs for support. Cheaper ones are quite thin and flexible and benefit from having something backing them up. I would not recommend drywall in a tub/shower area even though it's going to be behind the surround. I would use Hardie Backer or cement board.

Old 08-17-16, 07:50 AM
M
I've been looking online. I see many options. I don't think i want a glue up system, I'd rather have direct to studs. Many mfgs do not recommend using their walls on anything but the matching tub. I realize that as long as the walls don't actually snap onto the tub (as some models say) it should work on my older cast iron tub.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a high quality, 3 pc wall system? What experiences have you all had with differant systems?

Kohler, delta, American Standard.... who makes a good, professional grade wall system?

Old 08-17-16, 08:22 AM
M
Bathtub surround walls recommendation?

Looking for recommendations on bathtub walls. I have an older cast iron tub in a 60 x 30 alcove. We are renovating and want to install new tub surround.
I've been looking at 3 piece, direct to stud systems. Does anyone have suggestions for a higher quality unit that will work with the older standard tub?
Any suggestions on installing such a unit?
Thanks!

Old 08-17-16, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,043 Votes on 967 Posts
I combined your threads to keep everything in one thread.

Old 08-19-16, 07:15 PM
M
Ok, i think I'm on the right track. Got the tub moved and walls selected.

New question about drywall. How should the drywall meet the front tub apron? Specifically, the rounded top edge (of the tub front).

Would you fill this area with mud? Caulk? Would i try to match this rounded edge with cut drywall?

Old 08-20-16, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
NO sheetrock mud. If it gets wet it returns to it's mud state. I keep drywall back a 1/4"+ and cover the gap with molding and caulk the edges. I keep the sheetrock back in case water gets behind the molding the gap helps keep the water from wicking over to the sheetrock.

Old 08-21-16, 04:29 AM
M
Ok. I see many pictures where they stop the drywall short and cover the gap with a border of tile.. but it will be difficult for me to cut a tile in that shape.

When you say cover it with moulding, do you mean wood trim? I could use the router to match that curve if i make a template before hand.

Old 08-21-16, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Reading through these posts, I don't see any pictures. Does the tub have a lip around three sides? It may be crucial when installing any type of wall surround.

Old 08-21-16, 06:50 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
There is definitely some part of the tub resting on the floor or hung from the studs on the far side. Maybe legs or brackets in the corners.

The tub will not remain in position with the near side fastened to the floor and the far side simply leaning against the wall.