Does rough-in mean anything for very small bathrooms?

Old 08-19-16, 02:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does rough-in mean anything for very small bathrooms?

I am in the middle of a 1/2 bath remodel. It is about the size of a very small closet. I moved to the toilet flange to reorient the toilet to decrease user claustrophobia. When doing so I used a 10" rough-in thinking it would gain me 2" of knee room over 12" rough-in toilet models. Now I am second guessing myself and thinking it is a mistake.

Can someone tell me if rough-in means anything with regard to the space a toilet takes?

Last edited by SJMaye; 08-19-16 at 04:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-16, 05:06 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't believe rough-in makes much difference in the size of the toilet bowl or resulting "knee room". What does make a little difference is round bowl vs. elongated bowl. I prefer the latter as there is more clearance for the---ahem--manly bits, but you can save a little room with a round bowl. For sure you will have fewer models to choose from with a 10" rough.

You could consider creating a recess or alcove in the wall behind the toilet by boxing in the studs; problem is the vent pipe and water supply line often runs in that area. There are also specialty toilets where the tank mounts *in* the wall; those can save some space too, but they are pricey and can be a pain to service.

Old 08-19-16, 05:16 AM
S
Thank you for the reply. After the fact, I suspected that the toilet footprint was the same between an elongated 12" vs a elongated 10" rough-in. It is just the design location of the outlet in the base that has changed.

The good news is this morning I assembled the toilet and placed it on the flange to dry fit it. It fits! The tank top just kisses the wall.

Thank you for the information you have provided. It is appreciated.

Old 08-19-16, 09:35 AM
M
When i built the bathroom in my basement, i must have built my wall on the wrong side of my line or something (D'oh!) But the toilet was a bit too close to the wall for comfort. I ended up installing it on a slight angle , causing the users knees to swing away from wall just a bit.
Can't really see it and it made a world of differance. Doesn't sound like this will help your situation... but i thought I'd share anyway😊
Sounds like you got it under control. Good job!