Squealing plumbing

Old 08-23-16, 03:44 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squealing plumbing

I have a long standing problem with a squeal in my plumbing. I've had the PRV replaced twice to try to fix it. It would go away and then come back. Recently, it has been a constant noise that I hear throughout the house. Plumber who did the PRV had me make sure that all the water to toilets/faucets/washer were wide open. Flushing toilets, turning on other water, would make the sound lessen or go away briefly, but it would return soon after.

Yesterday, I noticed that the water in the tank of an upstairs toilet was vibrating. Toilet wasn't filling, or at least wasn't making the filling sound, so that seemed weird. I turned the water to the toilet all the way off (which I thought I'd tried before) and the vibration stopped and the noise went away. This has me thinking the problem is the fill valve. Would this be a correct diagnosis or should I look at something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Could be fill valve or the shut off valve. Close the shut off valve all the way and reopen it. Is the noise (vibration) still there. Pull up on the float and see it noise goes away. If quite now checl in a few days, Just pull up on float this time.

Old 08-23-16, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
Yes, a fill valve can make a noise. Since you turned off the valve to that toilet and the sound went away is a very strong indication. I would replace the fill valve and see if that quiets the noise permanently.

A singing noise from pipes most often happens when water is flowing. If your's happened continuously even when not using water that further makes me think of a toilet fill valve or anything else that might use water without your knowledge.

I assume you are on city water? If you are on city water make sure you are not using any water in the house and go look at your water meter. Note the reading and come back and check it 10 minutes later. If the flow indicator is moving/blinking or if you meter reading has changed then something is using or leaking water.

Old 09-05-16, 10:40 AM
H
When I went to replace the fill valve today, I discovered that even with the water off, there was still water coming through the pipes. So I'm guessing the shut off valve is leaking, which explains my noise and why my water bill tarted slowly creeping up.

Old 09-05-16, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
A leaking shut off valve won't cause water usage. A leaking toilet fill valve will.

Old 09-06-16, 04:50 PM
H
So with the water turned off completely, at least the shut off valve all the way off, having water still trickling out of the hose is normal?

Old 09-07-16, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
No, it is not normal. You have a leaking shut off valve. You probably also have a leaking toilet fill valve.

Old 09-07-16, 07:05 AM
Your toilet angle stop is bad as discussed.
This bad angle valve could be contributing to noise in the pipes. Sometimes a gasket will break apart and block the flow.
Anytime you restrict water flow through a valve, it can cause the pipes to vibrate.