Very little water pressure in bathtubs

Old 08-31-16, 08:26 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very little water pressure in bathtubs

Hey guys,

I just moved to Northwest Territories, Canada.

Housing here is insanely expensive and because of this I recently bought an older modular (trailer style) home. I am not experienced at all in these houses.

The entire house is one level but it has two bathrooms. I have found the water pressure in both bath tubs to be very low... the shower heads are recently updated and I have found the flow of water from both the faucet/shower heads to be low.

The home is on city water with electric hot water heater.

Also I have noticed the bathtub on the opposite side of the house of the heater takes a very long time to warm up (over 30 seconds). On this tub the knobs that control the HOT/COLD only turn about 1/4 of a turn from full off to full open and I am wondering if this is possibly an issue? They are newer knobs but I'm thinking the previous owners may have installed something for safety reasons because they had young children.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 08:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Does it have galvanized pipes? They often corrode and restrict the flow. My MH had galvanized pipes but I replaced them all [over time] with CPVC. Have you checked to see what the water heater thermostat is set on? for insulation on the pipes?

Old 08-31-16, 09:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 630 Votes on 582 Posts
If you do find that you have glavanized pipes I would consider replumbing the house with PEX. It's easier to work with in a retrofit situation and it's highly resistant to damage from freezing.

Also look at the size of piping you have. Many mobile homes, especially older ones, can be plumbed with "mobile home" everything. Special piping, special fitting and special fixtures... most designed for economy and not proper water volume.