Advice for the ring of standing water at sink drain

Old 08-31-16, 10:03 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice for the ring of standing water at sink drain

There was some buildup that appeared to be dirty around the drain in my 15-20 year old bathroom sink, and I scrubbed it away with Comet and a sponge.
It was allowing the water to flow down the drain, and I imagine it was aging material of some sort that allowed smooth drainage.
There is now a ring of water at the bottom of the sink where the drain is, where the surface of the sink meets the flange (or strainer).
There are rust stains beginning to form in spots with the little excess water setting there around the drain.
I blot it dry with toilet paper. (the stains don't bother me, but I worry about leakage.)
There is no room to tighten this drain deeper.
Name:  wet.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  24.8 KB
Name:  DSC04507.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  27.1 KB
Name:  DSC04509.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  39.6 KB
The sink setup is about 15 to 20 years old.
I seek a solution that won't force me to try to remove and replace anything... I am a disabled senior (partial paralysis), and sadly too limited in income to bring in a Professional.
The answer I hope for might be a liquid that I might be able to drip into and around that lip.. like a porcelain repair paint, epoxy, sealer or something similar.
Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 11:08 AM
J
Get it dry and try some clear silicone. Just buy a small tube.....you don't need a large tube that will require a caulking gun. Put it on and smooth it with your finger.

Old 08-31-16, 11:51 AM
V
I was hoping for a liquid that would "seek it's own level", as the water does, and one that would dry smooth and hard like an epoxy.
(I am afraid I might not get the silicone as it as smooth as I should)
Question for JIMIEM
Would the silicone stand up to cleaning, chemicals etc?

Old 08-31-16, 12:36 PM
J
Originally plumber's putty would have been put under the neck of the drain to prevent water from getting under it. There would have been some squeeze out and over time the squeezed out putty would have been removed via regular cleaning. A lot of abrasion will wear the silicone. If it's starting to rust then the finish is gone and it will continue.....silicone would help it for a while. Silicone is very easy to smooth. You don't need a Professional....a competent DIYer or Handyperson could replace the sink drain with one that has a lower profile......the parts are fairly inexpensive and readily available in big box and hardware stores. Phenoseal had a liquid caulk that you could drip in and it would self-level. There are rubber caulks but I've never seen one in a small tube.

Old 08-31-16, 12:49 PM
V
Thank you, you are appreciated.

Old 08-31-16, 12:55 PM
J
Have you checked with the Senior Center or Department of Elder Affairs in your area? They usually have handymen that will do the work at low cost. My town has such a service.....hopefully yours does too.

Old 08-31-16, 04:33 PM
It's normal for water to gather around the drain flange. There are very few, if any, kitchen or bath strainers that allow all the water to go down the drain.
The buildup you scrubbed away was from water sitting, just as it is now.
Clean the rust stains the best you can and dry the sink after use would be the easiest. It doesn't need to be bone dry just sop up some water.
The sealant under the flange is only to keep water in the bowl and not to prevent leaks from below.
Another washer is below the bowl and that keeps water from leaking into the vanity.
If there are no leaks inside the vanity and you're happy with the way the bowl holds water, just clean and you're done.

Old 08-31-16, 06:58 PM
V
Thank you Handyone.
There is a mild corrosion scent when I use the sink.
I could not get the rust stains... but they do not bother me.
The bowl does hold water just fine.
Please advise if this decision I have made is sound.
I wish to pour some Isopropyl alcohol (91%) around the drain to chase the water off.... and dry it well, using tissue, and then a shop vac to pull out any extra moisture (only around the edges).
I would like to heat the drain with hair dryer for 10 minutes, then will leave the sink alone for a day.
After this I want to use Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure I will use it as recommended, and then will try to find a thicker sealant to seal the edges completely.
I have access to the product I mentioned at very minimal expense.
Am I trying too hard?
Or... is this a rational plan of attack.

Old 08-31-16, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Ive seen these cheap box store drains and they arent designed well, resulting in what you have pictured. Just looked at my bathroom sink, mine is very thin on top, (yours is thick) and mine also slopes down toward the drain, as all of them "should", but apparently and sadly, not all of them do! I'm willing to bet if you have a friend or relative, someone from your church, they could help you out. The parts are inexpensive and easy to replace... if you can find someone who will work for coffee and cookies.