Slow flow out of shower head. Restrictor plate ruled out.

Old 09-07-16, 02:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow flow out of shower head. Restrictor plate ruled out.

I have very poor flow out of my shower head. Everything I have read says its a clogged flow restrictor plate. I have removed the shower head and handle body to bypass the restrictor plate and the flow is still very slow. Any ideas?

I'm including pictures to show the flow with the shower parts removed. Thanks.

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  30.1 KB Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  29.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-07-16 at 02:16 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-16, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Replace the cartridge/balance spool... Most likely thats the issue.

Old 09-08-16, 09:15 AM
S
Thanks for the response.

I am including a picture that labels the parts as well as what my part looks like.

2 is labeled as the pressure balance spool and and 3 is labeled the cartridge.

In my picture, I would consider the pressure balance spool as being behind the screw to the right.

The cartridge I would assume is behind the big hole in the middle where the water is coming out. All parts have been removed from the middle. All that is left is soldered to the pipe.

At this point, I'm guessing the next step is hit home depot and get a new pressure balance spool and replace that since its easier access and hope that's it.

Soldering is above my paygrade, so if you tell me the cartridge is behind a soldred part, I would expect to need to call in a plumber if replacing the pressure balance spool doesn't work. Would you agree?

And, are pressure balance spools universal or do I need to find the manufacturer for my shower?

Thank you for your help.
And sorry about the flipped pics. I even flipped them and resaved them in order to account for being rotated 90* when uploaded, but they are still off.

Attached Images    
Old 09-09-16, 10:10 AM
S
I removed the cartridge and balance spool and couldn't find an exact match at Home Depot, so I swapped from another shower with the same parts. The original shower still has minimal flow while the other shower, with the original shower's parts, has perfect flow.

At this point we have ruled out the restrictor, cartridge, and balance spool. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-16, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Take shower head off and see if you have a good flow without head. Will let you know if a plumbing or head issue.

Old 09-09-16, 02:34 PM
S
As explained in previous posts and pics, shower head has been removed throughout this process. Still poor flow. Thanks for your time and look forward to your thoughts and brainstorming. Thank you.

Old 09-09-16, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Not a plumber so may be wrong. Part #1 and the same part on other side look like control valves, Have you tried to turn the screwdriver slot to open valve more?

Old 09-09-16, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Pics you show are a moen. you dont have a moen....Ill have to reread thread..

Old 09-14-16, 11:16 AM
S
As an update, I tried to run a snake down the shower head pipe but the bend was too tight to get it through. I also used my air compressor to try to blow anything out of the shower head pipe.

No dice.

If anyone has any further brain storming ideas before I call a plumber (reluctantly), it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-18-16, 04:33 AM
I
I moved into a house two years ago and had the same problem. Tried the same solutions - eventually I called a plumber who discovered that one of the the copper feed lines had been pinched. Apparently during the installation years earlier, it had gotten torqued and pinched. He ended up having to cut it out and replace it from the back side of the shower (had to open up the wall).

He reused the parts where you control the water temperature, flow, etc. It was just some of the copper piping that was replaced.

Old 09-18-16, 08:39 AM
B
never seen that diverter before. maybe a delta or american standard.

since you've checked the 2nd obvious. how about the first obvious. are the internal stops open all the way? try replacing them? just had a service call the other day where this happened. hot side wasnt open all the way and it had terrible pressure.

only other thing i could think of with such a weird design is the 2 tubes that connect to where the cartridge sits is defective and clogged with solder or something

as to trouble shoot the pressure balance parts. if you take them out shake them. usually if you hear them move around theyre good. if they dont move no good. thats a rough way to check it anyway.

Last edited by brett14; 09-18-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 06:24 AM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
do you have hard water?
i had a plumber come for an issue and the first thing he did was bang on the unit to dislodge buildup... this was on an inline mixing valve so it's different, but it helped the flow. Just don't damage it...
i'm assuming that the tub water flow is fine?
do you have access to the backside to work on it?

Old 09-27-16, 10:34 AM
S
Problem solved

Threw my back out so this project has been on the back burner lately. Got back to it yesterday. Up to this point, I used the air compressor on the pipe that connects to the shower head.

Yesterday, I put the head back on and removed the cartridge and balance spool again. I then blew air into those spots and it dislodged whatever was in there.

Thanks for all your help in exploring ideas.