new toilet not flushing

Old 09-07-16, 08:07 PM
new toilet not flushing

I'm stumped as to why after I've just replaced an old toilet with a brand new one why the new one is not flushing. It's just a standard household "Cadet" toilet (along with new tank also). After installing then filling the tank then flushing for the first time, the water in the tank barely empties at all, just very slowly trickles out, and the water in the bowl stays pretty much the same. When the flush handle is operated, the flapper in the tank opens up all the way but the water doesn't empty like I said. If I dump a bucket of water into the bowl it flushes right down fine that way, but as far as trying to flush normally it just acts as I described. Tried several times, it's not working. what the heck?? Any comments appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-16, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Will it flush if you hold the handle down, keeping the flapper open longer? It happens, but rarely, that a casting could be faulty, preventing water from exiting the tank to allow for a proper flush. When you flush it, does water exit around the rim of the toilet?

Old 09-08-16, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did a rag or something fall down hole in floor while toilet was off? Why were you replacing old one?

Old 09-08-16, 04:49 AM
There is a problem between the tank bottom and the bowl interior.

If you pour water into the bowl very slowly and there is no clog down below, then the water will rise in the bowl to a certain level and stop. Water will be going over the trap loop behind the bowl as fast as new water is being poured in.

Did you assemble and install the toilet tank and bowl yourself, or was it all in one piece all the while you saw it?

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-08-16 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 08:07 AM
Will it flush if you hold the handle down, keeping the flapper open longer?
Nope, just barely drains down out of the tank.

It happens, but rarely, that a casting could be faulty, preventing water from exiting the tank to allow for a proper flush. When you flush it, does water exit around the rim of the toilet?
Slightly but hardly any exiting around from the rim of the toilet.

Old 09-08-16, 08:11 AM
Did a rag or something fall down hole in floor while toilet was off?
No.

Why were you replacing old one?
It got damaged/cracked.

Old 09-08-16, 08:27 AM
There is a problem between the tank bottom and the bowl interior.
That's the way it seems to act, as though something is preventing the flow of water out of the tank and into the top of the bowl. I did remove the tank to check that out, looked at the hole on the top of the bowl and saw nothing, and the opening at the bottom of the tank is clear as well.

If you pour water into the bowl very slowly and there is no clog down below, then the water will rise in the bowl to a certain level and stop. Water will be going over the trap loop behind the bowl as fast as new water is being poured in.
Yes I can dump water from a bucket into the bowl and that water does as described/quoted above.

Did you assemble and install the toilet tank and bowl yourself, or was it all in one piece all the while you saw it?
The tank itself was separate (and came with flush valve, flapper, etc already installed inside), all new. The bowl was a floor display unit, also new of course, which I agreed to buy as the store happened to be out of stock of those bowls otherwise. There was a lined (insulated with styrofoam) tank installed on this store display unit, which they swapped out for an unlined tank because I didn't want that lined one. Yes, I assembled and installed the bowl and tank.

Old 09-08-16, 10:10 AM
Okay I removed the tank and poured a bunch of water from a bucket into the top hole. Seems to accept all the water pouring out of the bucket into that hole at a good strong rate, but if I pour it really really fast out of the bucket it starts to fill up and get close to overflowing. I also notice that as I pour there is no water flowing into the bowl from around the inside of the rim... any further comments/suggestions appreciated.

Old 09-08-16, 01:50 PM
Take a coat hanger or a wire and poke into the holes on the underside of the rim . Are they open and clear? Sounds like you have a bad casting. And mabey a floor model could be just that, a floor (non working) model.

Old 09-08-16, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
I would vote for a defective or out of adjustment fill valve. Some have an adjustment that controls how much water enters the bowl (after a normal flush) via the rim as the tank is refilling. And if there is a restriction in the sewer, it could be that the wax seal was really really screwed up when you set the toilet, or the wrong type of wax seal was used.

Old 09-08-16, 05:08 PM
When I dump a big bucket of water directly into the bowl it flushes right down quickly and strongly; which indicates to me there is no restriction in the sewer.

I took a video of what happens when I operate the handle and the flapper opens and where you'd expect normal flushing but instead the video shows what happens instead:

http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums...pshueegtjd.mp4

Take a coat hanger or a wire and poke into the holes on the underside of the rim . Are they open and clear?
Took a stiff wire and poked into the holes on the underside of the rim. Wire goes in fine in all the holes...

Old 09-08-16, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0mdxIO15HZ9FCw

Did you do steps 10 and 11? I wonder if the flapper needs to open more fully. The chain looks goofy but it's all out of focus in the video so it's hard to tell. And I assume your supply line is turned fully on.

Old 09-08-16, 05:54 PM
A rag or foreign matter went down the hole at the back of the bowl where the tank attaches so as to impede the flow of water from the tank?

With the tank removed, can you use a bucket and pour water into the top hole where the tank sits fast enough to make the toilet flush but not having the hole overflow?

Old 09-08-16, 07:29 PM
Ref: last two post.

Do it.

If you still have trouble, take a snake and run it through the toilet bowl. Preferable taken off the flange. See what/if anything is forced out.

If that does not solve problem, return toilet to store for a replacement.

I've had one case that I sold a customer and neighbor a toilet that appeared perfectly good. But we could not seal the tank to the bowl no matter what. Tried new gasket and everything. Returned it to store for a replacement and it installed 1st time no problem. S**t happens, to coin a phrase.

Old 09-08-16, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Sgull has already written:
When I dump a big bucket of water directly into the bowl it flushes right down quickly and strongly; which indicates to me there is no restriction in the sewer.
. So it is time to stop suggesting a sewer problem or a rag in the sewer. Time to take the tank off as others have suggested and look for problems there or where the water enters the commode.

Old 09-08-16, 10:00 PM
Did you do steps 10 and 11?
Yep.

I wonder if the flapper needs to open more fully
No it can't open more fully than it is, it's completely flapped up and out of the way but the water only drains down very slowly while it's open fully.

The chain looks goofy but it's all out of focus in the video so it's hard to tell.
I double checked the chain adjustment, it's adjusted fine according to the instructions (step 11) Nothing goofy about it.

I assume your supply line is turned fully on.
Yes, it's turned full on.

Old 09-08-16, 10:25 PM
Time to take the tank off as others have suggested and look for problems there or where the water enters the commode.
I took the tank off, looked at the main opening in the top of the commode where the tank opening meets it. Not much to see, just the opening and no foreign object visible. Took a little inspection mirror I have and was able to see back in there maybe four inches or so where there is another hole/opening about an inch in diameter it looks like. Just inside that opening I can spy something, something light-colored similar to the toilet color, perhaps the partial end of some foreign object/material but I cannot tell by the appearance what it could be and cannot reach back in there with anything, I tried poking with a bent stiff wire but can't manuever it good enough to do anything back in there, especially with my little mirror in the way, and no way I can get any kind of tool back in there either.

Only thing I can think of is some foreign thing fell or was dropped in there at the store where, as I've mentioned, this particular toilet was the floor display model. It did have a tank installed on it on display, with the flapper, fill valve etc already installed. Another thought is I have is that perhaps the "foreign object" I think I spy with my mirror back in that hole is not a foreign object but a defect of some sort in the casting. Maybe the floor model was a known dud from the factory, not properly operable and thus relegated to be used for a floor model only.

With the tank removed, can you use a bucket and pour water into the top hole where the tank sits fast enough to make the toilet flush but not having the hole overflow?
When I pour a bucket of water into the top hole, I can pour it fairly fast but not fast enough to make the toilet even begin to flush. If I pour it too fast it will overflow the hole.

Old 09-08-16, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Bad toilet, return it. Tell them about the obstruction.

Old 09-08-16, 10:52 PM
Okay, just my luck, to get a bad toilet. what a hassle. They probably won't believe me or to to deny it's bad or say I must've installed it wrong or dropped something in there myself. I'll have to try to explain it to management and all that. Fun.
Plus, they don't even have any more (of that same model, the "Cadet Pro"; they do however have the Cadet Champion but that's more expensive than what I wanted to pay. They said they were out of stock until another week or two something like that.
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Old 09-09-16, 02:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try an American Standard Champion 4. You'll not go wrong for the price.

Old 09-09-16, 04:20 AM
I doubt the store will give you trouble with the return. Just tell them it does not perform properly and you need a replacement. And if by chance you do get an argument, just show them this series of post.

Old 09-09-16, 06:57 AM
S**t happens, to coin a phrase
Indeed it does, I must concur

Old 09-09-16, 01:14 PM
I went and explained the situation to management at the plumbing store from where I purchased the toilet. They sent out a plumber to investigate whether the problem was due to improper installation on my part, or whether the bowl was defective somehow. They said if it was due to improper installation they would have to charge me for the service call, but if a bad bowl they wouldn't. It turns out, after the investigation, they had given me the type of bowl that will only operate/flush properly with a pressure-assisted tank. The floor clerk was apparently unaware of that when he sold me that bowl. So they installed a pressure-assisted tank onto the bowl (at no additional cost), and it flushes like a charm now. I'm happy with that because I prefer the pressure-assisted anyway but didn't want to pay the higher price for one. All's well that ends well.

Old 09-09-16, 01:21 PM
Glad you got that solved. And a better unit to boot! May I ask where you bought it from?

Old 09-09-16, 01:49 PM
Local plumbing/hvac outfit up here in my neck of the woods in my relatively small and isolated SE Alaska community. I think I'd just as soon not name the business here though, in this case.

S**t happens