Replacing Bathtub Drain Lever - No Screw holes/screws rusted off

Old 09-08-16, 01:18 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Bathtub Drain Lever - No Screw holes/screws rusted off

I purchased my house a couple of years ago and I have been meaning to replace the bathtub drain lever as it is rusted. I have noticed that there are two screw holes in it, but there are no screws. It seems like the only thing that was holding it on the wall was caulk. When I took it off the wall today I found that there are no screw holes in the wall, or the screws have broken off and are completely flush to the metal with nothing to grip to twist them out.

If there are indeed no screw holes do I need to purchase a different type of drain lever than what was already on there? If the screws have indeed completely rusted away and are flush against the metal is there any way to get them out?

I am at a complete loss on how to proceed.

Name:  Missing Screw Holes.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  23.3 KB

Thanks for your assistance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-16, 01:50 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, the screws have rusted off flush with the overflow drain.

They are usually 1/4-20 threaded screws so you could try drilling out the rusted screw with a 13/64 or #7 drill bit and then running a 1/4-20 tap in to clean out the old bits of screw and clean up the threads. This would take some care.

Worse case, the overflow drain could be replaced, but this requires access to the back of the tub or from below.

Old 09-08-16, 05:29 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CarbideTipped, thank you for the response. I tried drilling into them, but they are not giving in the least. I also purchased a SpeedOut to see if the small dent I made was enough for it to get a grip to pull it out. A few frustrating hours later and I think your suggestion of replacing the overflow drain may be required, but that is above my skill set.

I am thinking for the time being what if I attached the new bathtub drain lever and calked in the screw holes so water would not go down it. We don't take baths anyways and it would be a temporary fix.

Here is a closer image of post drilling.
Name:  Post Drilling.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 09-08-16, 06:28 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow...should not have been that hard to drill. Could your drill bit be really dull?

Changing the overflow might not be very hard, depending on the type that is in there now. If you have access to the back of the tub through an access panel or the like, take a picture or two; we may be able to walk you through it.

Old 09-09-16, 02:59 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi. Try drilling with a small bit maybe 1/8 then work your way up to 13/64. Is it possible the bolts could be stainless steel?
Good Luck Wooodbutcher

Old 09-10-16, 04:19 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi again, As I looked at the picture I see that the pipe will give and making drilling that almost impossible.Try a small "C" clamp to hold the pipe to the tub then drill.
Good Luck Woodbutcher