Plumber's Re-do and Payment Concerns

Old 09-09-16, 10:17 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumber's Re-do and Payment Concerns

I had a plumber come to fix a small drip in my kitchen faucet in early August. The drip stopped for less than a week, then returned, now with a steady flow of more than a cup per minute. I've been trying ever since to get the plumbers back to fix it and unless they cancel again, they will be here in mid September. They told me I need a new faucet so I bought one. My concern is that they seem to be treating this return like it is a new, second job. I paid them $130 the first time; should I have to pay them again? If there are more parts involved then of course I would pay for those. Thanks.
Martha

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-16, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Even if it needs a new faucet, They should have fixed it right the first time, or said that it may leak again. I don;t think there should be another charge unless they need more parts. Post pictures of leak and we may be able to help.

Old 09-09-16, 10:40 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
As Pugsi asked, did they suggest a new faucet the first time? If they did not you may try and ask for a refund (but understand the major cost of their visit is the visit itself and most likely not the actual fix.) Please tell us what you bought. Installing a faucet is not a big job although it does require a bit of knowledge that we can supply. Are you the least bit handy with tools? Send pics of what you have and what you bought. The plumber may give you a hard time with the fact that you bought the faucet separately and not from him. But it should not prevent him from installing it. I would also suggest that you look to see if you have isolation valves under the sink to shut off just that unit. If not, now is the time to install/replace and get new supply lines.

Old 09-09-16, 10:46 AM
M
Thanks, and thanks for such a quick response! I didn't think a small drip would be rocket science for a certified plumber. I assumed that since they had been paid for a job that wasn't done correctly, they would return fairly quickly to do it. I am just a few minutes up the hill from them. I'm pretty shocked at their behavior. Possible negative feedback doesn't seem to worry them. I'm not sure pictures will help. The faucet is a four-hole model that was probably one of the cheapest models when it was installed.

Old 09-09-16, 10:50 AM
It should take them less than an hour to install. But that's assuming everything is typical. Don't burn you bridges too soon. Give them a reasonable amount of time. Can you answer the questions I asked in my first post?

Old 09-09-16, 10:55 AM
M
Thanks Norm. You guys are quick! He did not suggest a new faucet when he first came. He took it apart to replace the washers and it appeared to have been fixed. At this point I would love a refund and get someone else but I'm not sure they will be forthcoming with one. If they don't come next Friday, as planned, I most certainly will! I am pretty good with tools, (so long's they don't need to be used on cars) but I tore my rotator cuff on my right shoulder a few weeks back. There's a lot that isn't getting done around here now. I bought a Moen Torrance CA87480SRS. The salesman assured me it would work with my set up because it comes with a plate. The plumbers told me to buy the faucet. I can turn off the cold water - I'm embarassed I didn't think of that!

Old 09-09-16, 10:58 AM
M
Sorry Norm, you posted when I was responding to Pugsi.

Old 09-09-16, 11:01 AM
OK. MOEN is a good brand and has a lifetime warranty. If your plumber does not respond, we can walk you through the process. As long as you can get under the sink and turn a wrench.

PS...If he is worth anything he should should not charge you for the original repair but will charge you for the new install. I would guess that an additional $50 to $75 bucks might be in order.

Old 09-09-16, 11:11 AM
M
Glad to know it is a decent brand. I've already paid for the original repair - $50 to $75 more is acceptable? I'd love to do it myself but I won't be able to with this injury.

Old 09-09-16, 12:25 PM
J
I would be inclined to contact the Consumer Protection Division of the MA Attorney General's office. They will contact the plumber on your behalf. They do not act in a legal capacity but will contact the plumber on your behalf and put some pressure on him. You can fill out the forms on-line and they will contact you. Waiting for the plumber for this length of time is not right. Also, if he doesn't treat you right you can also take him to small claims court. If it comes to that it is easy to do and will only cost $40 to file the claim which you will get back if you win. If he is a one man shop he probably wouldn't want to take the time to go to court and would either pay up or default in which case he would be ordered to pay. This may all seem excessive but right now he has your $, you have a leak, and he is taking his time getting back to you.
Additional cost should be dependent on why the faucet leaked after his first fix....good luck getting that info from him.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 09-09-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-09-16, 12:54 PM
M
Thanks for the tip, Jimmie. This is a fairly large establishment and my problem is getting past the woman at the desk - who may or may not be an owner. My thoughts were to see what happens next Friday and hopefully they will repair it. If they don't, I will ask for my money back. If they won't, then I think the first step will be the BBB, and then small claims court if they still think they are entitled to keep my money.
Is it common to require people to contact the plumber the day before to confirm the appointment or they lose their appointment? They told me Tuesday afternoon to buy a new faucet and then call them yesterday (Thursday) to confirm I had. I had an appointment this morning (Friday) at 7:15-7:30am. I'm working 150% of full time at the moment and I bought it yesterday, the earliest possible moment. I called this morning at 7:05am (they open at 7:00) because I got home with it yesterday after they had closed. Because I had not called yesterday, I lost my appointment this morning. After all I'd gone through trying to get them out... I was furious. They can take weeks to come out but then give me two days to buy a faucet and report back.

Old 09-09-16, 01:09 PM
In light of what you just stated, I would defiantly complain and demand a plumber tomorrow or your money back. And don't be afraid to threaten to call the BBS or State Attorney's Office. You have not been treated right. You can also sue for damages and or aggravation. If you go to court just keep in mind that you must mitigate your losses. This might be your out to call another plumber to install the new unit. But I think they will make good and all will be right.

Old 09-09-16, 02:00 PM
M
Thanks Norm. They aren't going to give me a plumber any earlier than Friday. She was firm about that. So I take it isn't common to need to confirm? I really appreciate everyone's input. I feel a lot better than I did earlier. There will certainly be negative feedback where ever I can find a place to post it.

Old 09-09-16, 02:16 PM
J
Calling to confirm appointment seems to be how they do it. Other plumbing companies may or may not. The larger plumbing outfits will have a larger overhead and possibly higher charges....the only upside is the ability to schedule an appointment...which was problematic in your case. Norm mentioned BBB....assuming this plumbing company is a member a complaint will hopefully get their attention. If they don't respond and fix the problem to your satisfaction their rating will drop and may be revoked and your complaint will remain on the BBB web site for potential customers to see. You can post a complaint on Yelp. Is it legit to ask what town the plumbing company is located in?

Old 09-09-16, 02:36 PM
I deal with unhappy customers once in awhile and it sounds like the company wants to work with you.

They told me Tuesday afternoon to buy a new faucet and then call them yesterday (Thursday) to confirm I had.
They told you to buy a new faucet. That's better than selling you a faucet at a ridiculous price, which some might try. To me this means get the faucet and I will install it.

I would ask them outright if they plan on removing and installing the faucet at no charge. A large company should be more than happy to do it.

Old 09-09-16, 02:37 PM
M
Monson, Ma. There's a few in town but if the mods want to remove the town name, that's ok. They aren't accredited with the BBB, but I think a complaint can still be filed for public viewing. Yes, Yelp. Google Reviews. I'm sure I'll find more.

Old 09-09-16, 02:49 PM
M
Thanks Handyone, the reason I posted was to find out if I should have to pay again if they charge me. Norm says yes, $50 to $75. I find it hard to believe the plumbers would show up on my doorstep with a faucet in hand and insist I buy that particular one at a super-inflated price whether I liked it or not, or they wouldn't do the job. There are too many designs and styles for consumers to choose from for that to fly. With all due respect, no, it doesn't sound like the company wants to work with me. They could have told me I needed a new faucet several weeks ago instead of giving me two days at the last minute. I wasted a lot of time and phone calls asking the woman at the desk to ask the plumber what he thought needed to be done back in August. I explained, as well, that I had a lot of free time in August and that is why I called them then, and precious little now. They knew how busy I am at work.

Old 09-09-16, 03:36 PM
Plumbers don't carry around faucets ready to sell and install, they offer possible solutions.

Personally I probably would have recommended rushing out and purchasing a new faucet on the first service call. Professional plumbers usually don't have that kind of time.

I think if you persuade them, you can get your new faucet installed free. Big businesses usually don't like unhappy customers.

Old 09-09-16, 04:30 PM
J
I'd be curious. If you get to talk to somebody at the company....hopefully not the person at the front desk....ask how the plumber would have handled your service call if he/she determined that the faucet needed to be replaced rather than just a washer replacement. I've found contractors hesitant to install parts or use materials supplied by the homeowner.

Old 09-09-16, 04:58 PM
M
I'm sure the plumber would have told me to go buy one and make another appointment but you probably mean payment. Interesting point. I don't blame them for not wanting to install parts or use materials supplied by the homeowner. Mechanics are the same.
I'll post next week and let you know how I got on. Many thanks again for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

Old 09-10-16, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I was wrench turning or appliance repair we would install customer parts but would not warranty anything except install. If part failed we would recharge to reinstall. Not our part not our problem.

Old 09-10-16, 06:01 AM
J
Pugsl,

Did you typically have a supply of parts on your truck? If you needed a part and didn't have it with you would you charge the customer for the time it took to go and get it?

Old 09-10-16, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
I am a bit on the fence on this on. On most service calls I will offer the least expensive fix first if I believe that it will fix the issue. You had a leaky faucet, they installed some parts and that fixed it. The biggest issue I can see is they do not know what has happened to that faucet in a week to cause it to start leaking again.

I can't say how they do their service calls, if they have a trip charge or not, but I would not expect they would install a new faucet for free. Repairing a faucet and replacing a faucet are two different things. I could see them waving the trip charge but not the entire service.

Old 09-10-16, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When doing appliance repair we had most parts on truck, If part was close we would get one at no extra charge, If not we ordered then and had shipped to customers house and installed at no extra charge when part arrived.