Grohe Essence faucet: intermittent leak

Old 09-14-16, 11:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grohe Essence faucet: intermittent leak

I have recently installed a new Grohe Essence Faucet 20297 in a remodeled bathroom. It mysteriously leaked and caused some damage. The interior of the vanity was wet. The plumber check everything and could not find the problem.
Then it happened a second time. The plumber replaced the faucet with the same Grohe Essence.
It just happened a THIRD time! The Grohe rep came out and said that the faucet is sound and that if it leaked it would leak constantly. He also said the amount of testing the plumber did ruled out his work.
So now I'm at an impasse. I think it's the faucet. The only sign of water is in the vanity. My thought is that the cartridges are failing or there is intermittent bursts of pressure causing them to fail. Is this possible? Has anyone ever experienced this? At my wits end

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

the faucet is sound and that if it leaked it would leak constantly.
That is not correct.

There are two connections from the water supply lines to the valves.
Then there are the two lines that connect the valves to the spigot.

Most likely the main supply lines are fine which means if you don't ever use the faucet there would be no leak.

I would suspect the problem being between the valves and the spigot.

You are going to have to determine when the leak occurs.

Old 09-14-16, 12:35 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I had a pesky faucet of similar set up that actually had a flat spot on one of the o-rings that seal the supply hose from the handle to the spigot. It would only leak at certain times and only during use and never when idle. Replacing the o-ring solved the problem.

Old 09-14-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
This is a particularly strange problem as this is the third faucet installed with the same problem.
It may come down to a possible assembly error or manufacturer defect.

Old 09-14-16, 02:02 PM
The Grohe rep and the plumber have ruled out any ordinary leaks, so it's a mystery to them also.

How much water are you talking about? A small rag or a large towel?

If it's a small amount, and you have a stone top, I would suspect the faucet holes were bored too large and water is passing through occasionally. Most seals don't work well with too large of a hole. It takes quite a bit of splashing though to get water to fall into the cabinet.

I know of a technical reason this can happen, but don't know if it applies to your faucet.
This is a little long.
I have seen perfectly fine faucets spout water down into a vanity. It involves the aerator.

The aerator is screwed into the end of the spout, but the spout is not a solid pipe or a tube, it's a tube within a outer housing (on a lot of faucets).
If your spout has this "inner cavity", and you block the spout with your hand or the aerator is installed improperly, water could backflow into the faucet neck and down into the cabinet.

I had a job once where I went through 6 or more faucets before realizing the aerators were installed wrong from the factory. The factory techs were of no help.

Old 09-14-16, 04:49 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Did you use the same supply lines and cross over lines with each new install?

Old 09-15-16, 06:11 AM
M
The plumber suspects the cavity and aerator.
It is the second faucet.
The interior of the vanity gets soaked and there is water on the underside of the counter. Puddle of water in cabinet.
The lines were replaced on the first replacement faucet unsure of they were on the second. I assume, yes. The water was off for over a week and no issues with leaks. Plus if there were any issues with the lines I'd have water run down into the basement.
The leak has only occurred when not in use.
There has been enough water to flow down to the lower floor. So I assume it runs until I shut off the main. And then won't reoccur when I turn the water back.
I suspect the cartridge is broken and lets go after sitting a while. And resets it self when the water is turned off.( My novice opinion).

Old 09-15-16, 10:05 AM
Your situation describes the aerator theory perfectly. The aerator/faucet neck leak is not a drip, it's gushing water and can flood quickly.
Problem is you said the leak occurs with faucet handles off.

I can't see anyway possible a valve can leak spontaneously and randomly.