Flush chain material?

Old 09-21-16, 06:05 AM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
Flush chain material?

my toilet flapper came with a metal chain that's causing problems from time to time... I set it up pretty tight, but it still kinks or the connector gets sideways on the flush arm...

what is a good material to use to make a tangle-free connection between the flusher connector and the flapper?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-16, 07:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I generally use the chain that comes with the flappers. If it's kinking and getting sideways on the flush arm I would check to make sure you don't have twist in the chain. I normally don't set the chain tight. I leave it limp so it doesn't bind but you don't want so much slack that it can get under the flapper.

Old 09-21-16, 09:20 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Chain broke on an old toilet so for a temporary fix I used a long thin ty-rap. Remove the chain. Feed the pointed end of a ty-rap through the flapper ring and up through the flush arm. You want a slight arc rather than straight (and too tight). Zip another tie over the end of the first one and cut off the excess from both. My "temporary" fix lasted many years and worked perfectly until I replaced the flush valve with a kit that included a new chain. Now I'm back to kinking chain & running toilet.

Oh yeah...I suggested this a while back in this forum and got ridiculed for the "redneck" repair. If you do it--don't tell anyone.

Old 09-22-16, 06:32 AM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
that's why i'm here... the chain clip sometimes turns sideways on the arm... the chain twists and the flapper won't seat right...
i don't knock ANY suggestions...