Trouble with my toilet

Old 09-25-16, 06:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trouble with my toilet

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my toilet I can't figure out.
Here's the deal, the toilet wont drain.
Flush the toilet and the contents of the tank fill the bowl and pour out onto the floor. I've used a plunger quite vigorously with no effect. I've used a toilet auger which I couldn't get past a bend in the toilet, so I removed the tank and pulled the bowl off the floor, I was able to run the auger through it from the bottom and found no blocks. Put everything back together, changing all the hardware in the tank while I was at it, and I still have have a toilet that wont drain.
I poured some vinegar down the overflow to let sit and work on the jets tonight but was looking for anything else I might try.

Old 09-25-16, 07:37 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Did you run the snake through the open drain pipe in the floor when you had the toilet removed? Sure sounds like you have a clog in the drain piping.....

Old 09-25-16, 08:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I sent the auger down it but didn't hit anything or have anything come up with the auger.
The water does seem to be draining ever so slowly. The bowl was mostly empty and I started hearing some gurgling coming from it while my wife was running the upstairs shower. Maybe a blockage in the plumbing vent?

Old 09-26-16, 03:51 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
With the toilet removed, pour a bucket of water down the drain. Do any other units drain slowly? The sink? Bathtub?

Old 09-26-16, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If water drains when bucket of water poured down pipe than you might have something like a toothbrush stuck in toilet. Almost impossible to remove.

Old 09-26-16, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Do you have children? Do you use clip on toilet bowl cleaners or deodorizers? If you answered "yes" it's possible you have something stuck in the trap of the toilet. Toy balls, plastic drinking cups and the plastic parts from toilet deoderizers can get stuck in the trap. A drain snake can work past the object making you think it's clear but it still restricts the flow causing flush and clogging problems.

Old 09-27-16, 05:07 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Kids plastic toys were often found in mine! Steve

Old 09-27-16, 06:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
We have something in a tenants toilet like this every year or two. Kids toys are common, one time it was a spoon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: