Sound of running water near toilet and down sink, etc

Old 09-29-16, 02:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sound of running water near toilet and down sink, etc

There's a constant "running water" type sound coming from a basement toilet. I looked inside the water tower part and everything seems fine. Any ideas what could be causing the noise?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-16, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Shut valve to toilet off and see if sound stops first. If not shut water supply off and see if it than stops. Trying to find out if it is a water sound.

Old 09-29-16, 03:48 PM
B
Thanks, I'll try that later tonight!

Old 09-30-16, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
If your toilet does not have a shut off valve or if the valve does not fully close (leaks) you can put some food coloring in the tank. If the color appears in the bowl then you have a leaking fill or flapper valve.

Old 09-30-16, 09:23 AM
E
Shutting the water off is your best bet, as it might be a sound coming from something else. I had a bit of a problem with a similar sound in my basement and it actually turned out to be an issue with my water heater - which is a whole other kettle of fish but it did at least turn out to not be a water line issue.

Other than shutting the valves off, here's an obvious question: there's no water around the floor or anything, right?

Old 10-01-16, 08:21 PM
B
Ok everyone I shut the water off to the toilet and the sounds stopped! Turns out the water keeps running in the toilet. So either it's the flapper or the anti-siphon fill valve hopefully.

No wonder my water bill's been higher than usual this summer!

Old 10-02-16, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Take lid off toilet and lift float. If sound stops Adjust float. If not replace flush valve. If water is leaking into bowl replace flapper.

Old 10-02-16, 07:38 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Another common cause for this is a toilet fill level that is adjusted too high so that water constantly spills into the overflow tube. The static water level in the tank should be about an inch below the top rim of the overflow tube. If I isn't, adjust the fill height setting on the fill valve to lower the water level.

Old 10-02-16, 08:37 AM
B
Thanks guys. This type of fill tube is called "anti-siphon" and does not use a float. I think there's a screw on it to adjust the fill height though.

Old 10-02-16, 10:05 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
Some anti-siphon fill valves do not have a ball float on a diagonal arm (the latter rises to near horizontal) but have a doughnut like slider that moves freely up and down a few inches on the vertical fill pipe and that acts as a float.

On some models you push a ring on the fill pipe up or down a few inches to unlock things and then twist the top half so two concentric parts of the fill pipe screw together or unscrew apart a little so as to shorten or lengthen the fill pipe and that changes the fill level. On some of these models you may have to undo the fill assembly from the toilet tank completely and twist it so that the thin overflow tube at the top will reach the toilet overflow. If you don't slide the retaining ring back over the slit portion of the outer concentric part of the fill pipe it is possible for the two parts to untelescope (lengthwise) without unscrewing, causing uncontrolled water flow possibly leaking out between the toilet tank and lid and getting on the floor.

Old 10-02-16, 01:01 PM
Replace the (Fluidmaster) fill valve and you should be OK. I'm not sure if they were designed to do it, but they will make noise when failing.

As far as adjusting the height of the valve, there is a critical mark/line on the valve body.
The critical line must be above the height of the flush valve fill tube to prevent siphoning.

The float can be adjusted separately and is to adjust the fill level in the tank.