trying to replace insinkerator disposal baffle and found another problem

Old 10-02-16, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
trying to replace insinkerator disposal baffle and found another problem

The black sink gasket/baffle completely pulled out today. I was reaching in trying to remove something that had fallen in, and when I removed my hand, the entire baffle pulled out. I thought it was a simple matter to just snap it back in there, but it wouldn't go back in. I figured I was doing something wrong, and googled it, and holy crap I have to take the whole dang unit off???? This just sounds crazy...but is this right? I have an Insinkerator Evolution Spacesaver, about 8 years old, and it works great - no problems ever.

So after I googled this and found out that might be the only option (crap) I got under the sink to look and I see this:

Name:  IMG_6112.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  29.6 KBName:  IMG_6113.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  28.2 KBName:  IMG_6114.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  28.9 KBName:  IMG_6115.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  28.7 KB

I have no idea if it has been like this the entire time, I've never had a problem with it, and it's never leaked or been noisy. It looks like this is just an exterior hard plastic case that is not snapped together completely. The guy that installed it was just a friend, and as I recall he had a very difficult time figuring out how to install it ( I got the feeling he had never done one before and never wanted to again. )

So, is this a problem? I don't even know how to fix it - it won't just push back together - I tried. It won't budge. (Yes the power is off.) But it works fine - no issues, quiet, and no leaks.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by yardnut; 10-02-16 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-16, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, the case has a separation and needs to be reset or the entire unit needs replacing if the case can't be restored to its original shape. It isn't that formidable. Remove the drain, unplug it from the wall, remove the dishwasher drain and undo the ring at top. It will fall into your hands....literally.

Old 10-02-16, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
when I removed my hand, the entire baffle pulled out
Do not remove the disposer. The Baffle simply gets pushed gently into the sink strainer ring until it sits on top of, or locks gently into the ring bottom lip.

If the baffle doesn't sit right, the rubber is probably hard. Replacements are available at any home store.

Most disposers only have one baffle and the unit needs removed to replace it. You have two baffles.

Old 10-03-16, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Brian, my concern was with the separated casing on the disposer. It needs attention. Yeah, the baffle is not a biggie.

Old 10-03-16, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The upper shroud is for sound insulation. You can align it and snap it back in place without removing the disposal.

Old 10-03-16, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The baffle won't push back in to where it was. The sink strainer that sat in it before, now sits on top, not flush with the sink now. So the rubber baffle, for whatever reason, no longer fits in there correctly. ( If we try to work it lower, it simply goes down into the disposal.) Insinkerator is sending me a new one - hopefully it is just that it is old. We'll see.

I called Insinkerator about the case separation. The tech said that if the unit was working fine, the outer case was just for noise suppression and was likely not a problem to leave it as is. It's still worrisome to me, but I cannot get it to budge back up to snap it closed. If I push up on it, the whole unit pushes up and flexes the sink (it's a stainless steel sink).