Leaking Shower Door - Please Help!

Old 10-10-16, 07:08 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Shower Door - Please Help!

Our sliding shower door has worked wonderfully for years. Several months ago it started leaking in the back corner of the tub, wetting the sheetrock. So we took down the shower door and the vertical track, removed the old caulk and recalled new.
It was great for a while, but a few weeks later it started leaking again. So this time we took it all down, plus we removed the bottom horizontal track. Again we removed caulk and recaulked.
Again it was good for a while but eventually leaked again.
So we removed the shower doors a third time, etc. Worked well for a few weeks but started leaking AGAIN.
Why would it not leak for 10 years but then start leaking?
Please help!! We don't know who to ask to help us - a plumber? A handyman??
Thank you!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-16, 08:43 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It looks like the leak is BEHIND the tile which would mean that it has little to do with the shower door.

When you removed the door, did you make sure there is caulk between the tile and the tub itself?

Take a look a the shower handle and see if there is a leak behind. If a one handled shower remove the trim plate, if multi-handled shower handles remove down to the stem and observe if there is a leak anywhere. Also take a peak at behind the cover on the shower arm where it goes into the wall. The arm is threaded on both ends and there may be a slight leak inside the wall. Many times there is just enough room to take a peek while the shower is running.

Old 10-10-16, 11:44 AM
A
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, there is caulk between the tub and the tile. And there is caulk going up the wall between the vertical track and the tile on the wall. And there is caulk on the OUTSIDE of the bottom horizontal track along the top of the tub. (The INSIDE track along the top of the tub does not have caulk so that the water can flow out of the peep holes).

This leak is at the back end of the tub -- not at the front of the tub where the handles are located.

My thought (and I'm no expert) is that somewhere under the bottom track the water is flowing downward toward the back of the tub.

Should I call a plumber or a contractor/handyman?

Thank you!

Old 10-10-16, 04:16 PM
T
Name:  IMG_4257.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  27.0 KB

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. I'm not sure what changed but the channel actually was overflowing depending on the direction of spray. It only overflowed in the back corner because it was low. I put in a small piece of plastic in the corner and it stopped the leak.

Additional note: I did not find it until someone went in the shower withe the door closed and spayed the door. All I ever saw was a puddle on the ground..

Last edited by tribe_fan; 10-10-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 04:25 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Make sure any metal to metal contact between the vertical shower door trim and the horizontal trim is caulked so that no water landing on the bottom rail can seep beneath the rail. Then go ahead and caulk the front tub rail seam so that no water can get under the bottom rail. Put a level on the rail to see if it slopes toward the back.

Old 10-10-16, 06:19 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Post a picture of the back side.
The rails and track needed to be caulked from the backside, as well as the outside.
You are using silicone caulking right?
Someone made a big mistake by not running that tile all the way to the outside beyond the the shower and down the side of the tub.
If the tile was installed over sheetrock your already in trouble.

Old 10-11-16, 06:37 AM
A
Here are pictures of the inside of the tub/shower door. It is a Kohler shower door and Kohler Customer Service and the installation sheet say NOT TO caulk on the inside tub/track seam - only on the outside of it and on the inside vertical tracks.

I think they say not to caulk on the inside tub/track seam so that water can flow out of that area. But I think that's where the trouble is and I think that's where the water is flowing down to the wall and seeping out.

Yes, there is caulk in the seams where the bottom track meets the vertical track.

With the shower doors closed, no water sprays outside. And the shower head is at the other end of the tub - so water from the shower head doesn't even it the back of the tub.

This is a real head-banger. Don't want to remove my shower door for a curtain

Attached Images   
Old 10-11-16, 06:40 AM
A
Sorry, these 2 pics appear on their side (they should turn clockwise 90 degrees)