Bathtub spout (brand new) leaks from the back.

Old 10-11-16, 11:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub spout (brand new) leaks from the back.

Hey everyone, new go the forum, I just purchased my first house, I'm new to fixing things and I really have no one to turn to for help. I hope I can get some help here!

So the spout that originally came with the tub wasn't long enough so the water would pour into the back of the tub and spill onto the floor, so I bought a new longer spout.

I have watched numerous youtube videos and I seem to be doing everything they are doing, simply sliding the new spout onto the copper pipe and screwing in the screw under neath the spout. Only problem is when I turn my tub on, I get a bunch of water that spits out of the spout where it meets the wall. And when I pull the water diverter it REALLY starts to leak out the back.

What could possibly be going wrong? Clearly the copper pipe isn't sealing inside the new spout. But I have no clue how to fix this issue. I've tried going to Google for an answer with no luck.

------------------------------------------------------
The spout I bought is

"Moen 7" slip fit diverter tub spout m1491"

The pipe that sticks out of my wall is 1 and 7/8 inches. No threads. Just a copper pipe. The back of the package says 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 and 7/8 inches will work for this spout.

-all components look to be in good shape with the new spout, including o rings.

- the copper pipe out of wall isn't leaking, I have plugged it to check. It is a little bit bent on the bottom and flattened a little from being screwed against with a set screw by the looks of it.

Instructions on back of spout packaging are this simple

1. Loosen set screw
2. Slide spout over copper pipe until back of spout is flush with wall.
3. Tighten set screw. Check for leaks.

That's what it says word for word. Nothing more on what to do in case of leak.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-16, 05:13 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Be sure that the "O" ring is being slipped past the point where the set screw is secured against the pipe. Is the "O" ring in perfect shape?

Last edited by Norm201; 10-12-16 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 05:36 AM
Another thought. You mentioned the pipe is slightly bent. Put a 6" ruler or straight edge along the length of the copper stub. Do you see a gap along the edge? If so, it won't seal.

Old 10-26-16, 05:03 PM
C
Name:  spout3.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  19.9 KBName:  spout1.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  21.2 KBName:  spout2.jpg
Views: 3346
Size:  20.2 KBMy apologies for the late reply, im wanting to finish this project!!

i have attached 3 pictures so you get a visual of what im dealing with. the O ring on the new spout seems to be in perfect shape.

the packaging from the spout i bought says a copper pipe coming out of the wall between 1 1/2" - 2 7/8" should work. but as you can see in the picture where the set screw touches the pipe, the Oring in the new spout doesnt even make contact with the pipe. this is weird as mycopper pipe length is within the suggested length???

do i have to extend the copper pipe some how? and if so how would i go about doing this??

what should be an easy 5 minute job is turning into a pain! haha

i do very much appreciate any advice and help anyone can shoot my way.

Old 10-26-16, 07:48 PM
That will never make a seal. The pipe is severely scored and out of round.I'm not sure what can be done short or replacing the copper stub. I'm not sure, but I think you can cut the pipe enough to solder on a coupling and another straight piece. I believe they sell a long spout that may fit onto the new solder pipe nipple.

Perhaps one of the experts on plumbing can chime in and offer a better suggestion.

Old 10-29-16, 12:17 PM
C
Thank you Norm for trying to help.

Anyone out there have some guidance as you how I can get this done? Thank you in advance.